spraying and restoration.

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited April 2011 in Workshop
I keep getting offered fairly decent quality steel italian frames. Columbus SLX and the like.

Mechanically I can do most things on a bike the only time I rely on a third party is for resprays.

How difficult would it be to set up a home spray booth and what kit would I need.

I ve got quite a large work shop and I reckon I could baton one end of it off and attatch some plastic sheet to create a booth. Get an Expel air for ventilation and some Halogen lamps for drying.

I know I m obviously going to need a compressor and a spray gun. What else have I missed.

I wouldnt mind shot blasting my own frames but I can get a frame Chem Dipped for a fiver so is it really worth the hassle and mess.

Any one out there got any experience or expertise in this area they are willing to share.

Such as is there a special type of paint you need to use and what primers are best and how do you seal transfers

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I bookmarked this thread ages ago for this very reason, although the frame in question is still sitting in my shed :oops:
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nomadicbry
    nomadicbry Posts: 223
    My mate does it if you're in the or close to the central belt of Scotland. Did my 1960s frame for my SS/Fixie. We thought it was a flying Scot but seems it's not. Super light and amazing. the paint job done on it is amazing.

He predominantly does cars but has turned his hands to restoring bikes as well. he built hs spraying shed with compressed air tools. ventilation system in the room he sprays and a vat to dip the frames to remove the rot.
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Des Weller and Nomadic Cry thanks for the link and reply. Unfortunately I live in the flat lands of Lincolnshire I suppose Dave Yates is my nearest dedicated frame builder and restorer a throughly decent bloke and spot on at what he does but cant see him wanting to share any commercial secrets.

If I did my own dipping what do you use. I can imagine all sort of horrendous mishaps to both bike and person?

The guy I use is brilliant just bloody unreliable, he had a frame of mine for 3 months once

(NOT DAVE YATES as I say he books all his work in advance a creates amazing results.