mechanic courses?

TomA
TomA Posts: 60
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anyone know i there is any where i can do any cytech approved courses.

I really want to get a job as a bike mechanic but the only way to get in i think is to have some sort of training. I cant find anywhere that will do an apprenticeship and cant think of any other way of getting into the business.

I live in East Sussex so if anyone does know of anything...that is the area in which i would prefere a course. I will travel if need be.
Thanks!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    seen the links in the tech links sticky?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wheelygood
    wheelygood Posts: 101
    City & Guilds course at The Bike-Inn near Spalding. Excellent course - did it myself before setting up in business,
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Daughter is a bike mechanic for Halfords, while at school as part of the enrichment program she volunteered one afternoon a week at the local bike recycling centre, she did that for aout a year and on the back of that experience she got the job at Halfords where she has had further Halfords training.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    get a saturday job in a LBS
  • allthegearnoidea
    allthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
    official cytech isnt a cheap option unless you are going to be working as a bike mechanic (or have loads of spare cash!!) but as others said, your best bet would be to get a job at your lbs and watch and learn fromt he mechanic there,

http://www.cytechretaildirectory.co.uk/ ... ical-one-/
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    Practice on your own bike, familys bikes and friends bikes. Get a decent reference guide or use sheldon.

I've worked at several bike shops and when we've interviewed for mechanics we've looked for someone with basic skills and morre importantly the right attitude and trained them up through Cytech.

How many bike shops have you applied to? Ask them all even if they don't have a vacancy they might bear you in kind if one comes up.

Are you desperate to be mechanic or just to work within the industry? Worth taking what ever job you can as you will gain experience and sideways moves are always a lot easier.

If you do get an interview cycle there and make sure you bike is clean and in perfect working order. Attention to detail is important.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Unless bike mechs are like every other trade

every mechanic I know has a car that looks like shit, every builder I know has a house that looks like shit, Electricians, crap wiring, plumbers... etc, etc.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    GTD. wrote:
    Unless bike mechs are like every other trade

every mechanic I know has a car that looks like shoot, every builder I know has a house that looks like shoot, Electricians, crap wiring, plumbers... etc, etc.

Vehicle detailers cars are usually spotless :)