Mountain Bike on a Train

Cog Head
Cog Head Posts: 53
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Hi all, as a follow up to another thread, id like to know the ins and outs of getting ones bike on said train!

im in tamworth, and i want to go to cannock chase, but my car is still in bits. so can i get a train from tamworth to rugely as a normal passenger and just stand up with the bike, or do i need to do or get any thing special?

Thanks

Comments

• Duggan13
    Duggan13 Posts: 75
    It's different for different train companies so you need to check with the specific provider.

However, for what it's worth I regularly get the train up here in Manchester with First Northwestern to do local journeys and it's very easy- usually the trains have a place you can put your bike near the door with a strap to keep it in place (look out for the door with a picture of a bicycle next to it).

Sometimes there isn't one but whenever I have just put my bike on anyway and stood there with it they have been fine with me. Occasionly there have been a few people with bikes and it's still been OK. I've never had any problems.

I'm guessing Tamworth to Rugely is a local journey but I think it's a bit different for cross-country trains going a long way- I think they have a special carriage which you need to book your bike on in advance then. Either way, I think generally train companies are keen to be seen to encourage bikes and being green etc so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good to see someone from Tamworth on here- I live in Manchester now but am from Tamworth originally :)
  • fielonator
    fielonator Posts: 100
    Down south you have to travel off peak, and not the day after the london to brighton.
  • Cog Head
    Cog Head Posts: 53
    nice one, ill have a wobble down to the station some day and have a word with them, see if theres any blurb to read.
    i was going to just go for it and go on anyways, but decided otherwise, i dont fancy a fine for not asking a question. Tamworth to Rugely is only a short trip 25 - 30 mins maybe, i can stand up in the doorways for that long.

Its a small world! im yet to meet anyone from tamworth yet though, ive spoken to people that say there are quite a few MTB'ers here, but im yet to meet any :?

Thanks for your speedy reply, much appreciated :mrgreen:
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    There's usually a limit of 2 bikes and it helps if you reserve a place in advance. It does depend on the train though and whether the conductor is a twunt.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edited May 2011
    chedabob wrote:
    There's usually a limit of 2 bikes and it helps if you reserve a place in advance. It does depend on the train though and whether the conductor is a twunt.
    Reminds me of when we went from Sheffield to Inverness a few years back.We got on the Virgin Sheffield-Edinburgh express with no worries.When we got to Edinburgh there were around 20 people with bikes trying to get on the chugger to Inverness.Everyone had booked bikes but there were only 2 spaces for bikes :roll: so the guard proceeded to check tickets.We had booked 6 months in advance so were allowed on.Everyone else,when told the next train was in 4 hours,just got on 8) There were bikes all over the place but that 4 hour train journey was a right feckinlaff 8)
  • on eastcoast trains they tend to have a rack in one of the carriages (normally the very last one) that looked to me like it could hold 10 bikes just slotted into the provided wheel brackets, but on crosscountry trains, they had 2 hooks hanging from the ceiling in one carriage for the bikes to hang from - so best to book in advance to be safe!
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    I travel with my bike from uni in Leicester to my home in somerset via cross country trains. All XC trains have two reservable bike spaces with one non-reservable that works on a first come first serve basis. I always book a space for my bike and have never had a problem, i find the easiest way to do it is to just go to the station ticket office and ask to make a bike reservation, its free to make with xc trains!

hope this helps!
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    If in doubt take wheels off and carry "bike parts" rather than a "whole bike". They can't complain then :p

To nthe OP, you'll be fine with Tamworth-Rugeley, just get on :)
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Nothing special r.e. booking or taking the bike apart needed - I go to Rugeley on the train for Cannock and its never been an issue - just dont be daft and block the doors or anything.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time