Halfords Help!

VoodooHoodoo
VoodooHoodoo Posts: 2
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Today I bought a Voodoo Hoodoo mountain bike from Halfords. I got it home and took it out for a ride. Instantly I could hear a rubbing sound coming from the front wheel.
I pinned it down to the hydraulic disc brake, I think it is rubbing against the rotor even when the brake isn't being used. So I looked online to find out how to fix it myself.
I had to unscrew two allen bolts to loosen the caliper. I attempted to loosen the allen bolt but it just spun in the hole. I thought maybe the allen key I used was too small so went for the next size up and that was too big. So I looked at the allen bolt and the hexagon shape is rounded so there's no way I can get this allen screw out. Someone at Halfords must have tightened it too much and rounded the bolt.

I'm at a loss as what to do because I'm worried Halfords will think I rounded the bolt when trying to fix the brake myself. What should I do?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just take it back.

And if they don't want to do anything, threaten them and tell them you're one of the "Voodoo Hoodoo, what you don't dare do people"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fz85FE0KtQ
  • Cog Head
    Cog Head Posts: 53
    take it in, tell them, the front brake was rubing slightly, so you attempted to correct it.
    even if you had taken the bike to them, if the bolt was over done, it will still have rounded, no matter who turned the allen key.

they are quite reasonable, just dont lie
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Someone at Halfords must have tightened it too much and rounded the bolt.

I doubt that they would touch it as part of the set up, knowing Halfords. Either it happened during manufacture somehow or you inadventantly did it yourself. Either way just go in there and complain, I doubt they will look to closely.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    take it back and see what they say
    a few points:
    1) do not say that you attempted to repair it yourself as this will pass the responsibility
    to you, THIS IS LAW so they are entitled to refuse repairing it for you after you have tried to fix it
    2) thoses brake bolts are not usually touched during bike assembly and are usually factory set, if someone at halfords did bodge it then they will have to repair it for you, THATS the law, its their legal obligation to fix it else they have to replace it (the bike)
    3) if halfords didnt cause the problem then i suspect that you probably did it yourself either by using the wrong tools (imperial instead of metric) or by your own inexperience
    4) if you did damage it yourself and halfords refuse to repair then all is not lost, the offending bolt can usually be extracted easily then just replace the damaged bolt with a new one
  • Anonymous
    Ooooh, do we have to write THE LAW in capitals now? I didn't get the memo.
  • Cog Head
    Cog Head Posts: 53
    YES ... ITS THE LAW :lol:
  • tri-sexual
    sorry, had to point that out
    halfords are obligated under english law to remedy the fault on the said bicycle if proven to be faulty.
    once you tamper with the bike even if you do not cause addition damage to the bike or its components then halfords are no longer obliged to fix the bike and you will forfeit your right to have your bike fixed under warranty - this can also affect your rights under consumer law.
    simply put halfords must correct the fault, they are breaking the law if they dont and will be found guilty if action is brought against them.
    once you tamper with the bike, halfords can tell you to get lost and are totally entitled to and the law will back them all the way.
    its a fine line between the two, so i highlighted the legal standing on both sides
  • Tri-sexual while we are on the subject, ive bought a voodoo from halfords took it out yesterday, when i got home noticed my head set bearings seemed a bit tight on full lock, but i have a different handle bars, grips, seat post clamp, have a voided my warranty on the complete bike? Its not a problem to me either way just thought i would ask?
    Dream Big
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Go into Halfords when they are quiet (definitely not the weekend) and have a word with the bike mechanic. Tell the truth and most likely they will sort it for you.

Worst thing you can do is go in all guns blazing and quoting the LAW in capital shouting. It gets peoples back up it might be the LAW but asking nicely and admitting that maybe you were a plonker and possibly did it yourself will go a lot further.

In my experience going in armed with a few packets of nice choccie biccies will get a lot of little jobs sorted as long as the boss isnt on the prowl. It isnt usually a major job unless it was screwed in by an angry Gorilla and a new bolt will cost a pound or two.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    stubs wrote:
    Worst thing you can do is go in all guns blazing and quoting the LAW in capital shouting.

Quality. :lol:
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • tri-sexual
    shouldnt be a problem so long as the components you used are "fit for purpose " and that they are fitted correctly to the manufacturer's specifications.
    if you use an approved part but overtorque it which results in damage to the part or the bike then it can be suggested that this will void the warranty (incorrect fitting) eg if u buy a replacement seat clamp which is "approved" for use on your bike but when fitting you over tighten it and crack the seat post on your bike then manufacturer can claim that warranty is now void.
    on the other hand if u use a part which is not approved for your bike which results in damage to either the component, bike (or even death or injury), then your claim for warranty or personal injury will not be honoured. eg, if u fit 200mm forks to a xc bike which originally had 100mm and then the bike's frame breaks then it would be argued that the part used was not fit for purpose.
    hope this helps.
    by the way if your headset is tight then if still under warranty, take it back to the shop who should make adjustments for you. if u want to do it yourself then its a really easy job. loosen two stem bolts, turn top compression bolt 1/6 turn anti clockwise, retighten 2 stem bolts (30 sec job). best use torque wrench, remember stem and compression bolts require light tightening, overtightening can cause damage. under tightening on the other hand can cause loss of control, if u are unsure, take it to a shop.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    tri-sexual wrote:
    sorry, had to point that out
    halfords are obligated under english law to remedy the fault on the said bicycle if proven to be faulty.
    once you tamper with the bike even if you do not cause addition damage to the bike or its components then halfords are no longer obliged to fix the bike
    HOGWASH (note the use of capitals to 'prove' I'm right)) they are still liable unless they can reasonably show the fault was caused by the OP, if the OP didn't cause additional 'damage' Halfords are still just as liable.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ftwizard
    ftwizard Posts: 253
    Are you sure it's not a Torx head bolt. I'd be amazed if you could round of a case hardened Allen bolt that's screwed into soft Aluminium alloy.
  • Halfords warranty applies even to bikes that you buy off them and assemble yourself. So definitely take it back to them before you do anything else. You would not normally expect these bolts to round off in normal use.

Correct adjustment of brakes is a safety issue and they should not take it lightly.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    And when they fix it, your brakes may still rub... often happens on new brakes until the bed in.
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    check the brake rotor too . these can be warped quite badly from the factory .
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    supersonic wrote:
    And when they fix it, your brakes may still rub... often happens on new brakes until the bed in.

Exactly, perfectly normal... So trying to fix a problem that didn't exist it sounds like you've caused a new one. Luckily it'll be easily fixed, all it needs is a new bolt and possibly you having your hands broken so that you don't do it again.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    A word of advice for the future. Use good quality Allen Keys. I replace mine yearly, a worn Allen Key can cause nightmares
  • Gizmokev
    Gizmokev Posts: 146
    a worn Allen Key can cause nightmares

Especially if used with caffeine and cheese nibbles just before bedtime.....
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Time is the all important part when claiming any defect. The self help is irrelevant and not worth mentioning. take the bike back point out the fault and ask them to fix it.

Worth making sure you didn't use an imperial key rather than a metric, because they will round a bolt fairly easily.

Retailers must be allowed to remedy faults, for you to make a claim using your statutory rights. If you attempt repair and fail, then the consequences are no longer the retailers responsibility.

Having said that brake adjustment can reasonable be expected to be a user procedure.
  • I buy allen keys pretty much whenever I see them on sale! I must have ten sets knocking about appearing and reappearing around the house...
  • Anonymous
    I buy allen keys pretty much whenever I see them on sale! I must have ten sets knocking about appearing and reappearing around the house...
    hmm, cheap ones by any chance?
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    get park tools ones or gorilla grips. Halfords sell nice professional set for car mechanics .
  • I buy allen keys pretty much whenever I see them on sale! I must have ten sets knocking about appearing and reappearing around the house...
    hmm, cheap ones by any chance?

Everything is cheap nowadays, even decent allen keys. I only buy what claims to be cro-va steel. You can pick up a decent set from the likes of Draper or Kamasa for £2-4.
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, I'd stay away from Draper. Stick to halfords professional, snapon, park, or king dick. Cheap allen keys are a false economy.
  • stubs
    Bondhus are the top dog when it comes to Allen keys.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Hmm, I'd stay away from Draper. Stick to halfords professional, snapon, park, or king dick. Cheap allen keys are a false economy.

lol

If they last, appear sharp after lots of use, then they are not a false economy.

Actually the cheap Tesco ones I have had have been great.
  • stubs
    How many sets of cheap crap allen keys do you have to buy before spending £20 on a set that will last you a lifetime becomes worth it.

In my opinion the first bolt you knacker with your cheapo keys will make it an expensive economy. Buy cheap buy again buy the proper tools buy once.
  • juz69
    juz69 Posts: 31
    I'm worried Halfords will think I rounded the bolt when trying to fix the brake myself.

You did.

Invest in a decent set of Allen Keys, Bondhus/ Park tools are the only Allen keys I ever use.
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    Having worked in Halfords as a mechanic until recently, I know that they will have adjusted the brakes and the bolts that have appeared to rounded. It may be the bolt that is the problem, some of the bolts that come on the bikes are made of soft cheese. Even just showing the bolt an allen key was enough to round it. They usually have spares of these bolts lying around, so just go in there with the receipt and PDI sheet, tell them whats happened and chances are it'll be done there and then for free. Aslong as you don't go in there ranting and raving and quoting consumer law etc, if you do then they will probably tell you that you'll have to book it in, and you'll have to wait! I know that's what I'd do if you came into me!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012