100 Greatest Cycling Climbs

Comments

• dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Mroli nice blog. Only UK hills, no great cycling mountain climbs in France and Italy? When does a hill become a mountain? Just curious.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    dilemna wrote:
    Mroli nice blog. Only UK hills, no great cycling mountain climbs in France and Italy? When does a hill become a mountain? Just curious.

"100 Greatest Cycling Climbs: A Road Cyclist's Guide to Britain's Hills" doesn't have any climbs in France and Italy :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Hills 33 and 34 are now up - Cross of Greet and Trough of Bowland. A windy one and a more pleasant one.

Yes, Dilemna - book is here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Greatest-Cy ... 0711231206

only British climbs I'm afraid. There are similar books on the Alps and Pyrenees I think - I have a particularly heavy tome by Rapha on one, but I thought I'd start small and build up!

I'm sure there is a film with Hugh Grant in it called "The Englishman who went up a hll and came down a mountain or something". That probably explains the difference!
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    I'm sure there is a film with Hugh Grant in it called "The Englishman who went up a hll and came down a mountain or something". That probably explains the difference!

yes there is, and that defintion for a mountain is >1000ft

Nice good fun enjoyable film too, :) set in South Wales valleys near Cardiff / Taff Wells I think
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    We're doing Bwlch y groes tomorrow, anyone got any ideas which direction iits best to approach from? South isn't an option so its from the north or east doing a loop with Bala and Llangollen. I've heard the decent is pretty hairy on either side
  • JamesB
    Start from Bala ??

Go along Llyn Tegid (Bala Lake) on B road; about a mile beyond the far end of lake TL which is start of north approach to Bwlch Y Groes. Continue along this raod going up , then short descent and along above valley for a couple of miles; real climb then starts, great climb good views of Arans :)

At top descend 300m down 15% gradient, at most, TL towards Lake Vyrnwy---watch out for rough surfaces / potholesa especially towards lower end of road.

TL after reaching Vyrnwy, tehn take next TL towards bala and back over Hirnant pass, a really lovely and testing loop :):) .

see http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90436155 which is a longer circuit and includes BOTH North & south approaches to Bwlch Y Groes :D madness by me ! but part of this loop shows `your` route from Bala

IMO climb from east not particularly worth doing :(

Have a good ride
  • JamesB
    From south is a different and unpleasant affair indeed--20 min of lowest gear struggle / grind / standstills :( ; but that is the REAL way up, others more enjoyable
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    When are you going to Dartmoor mroli?
    I unintentionally went up the Dartmeet and Widecombe climbs on Friday (my map didn't say they were that steep!) with full panniers so I don't think you'll have too much trouble.

BTW what gear do you normally use?
  • JamesB
    You're starting to freak me out about this one James!

sorry ! :( but it does get a full 10/10 in the 100 climbs guide, deservedly :(
  • mroli
    In a flurry of (belated) activity, I have got climbs 35 - 43 up on the blog now - they include Jubilee Tower, Wrynose, Hardknott, Whinlatter, Newlands, Honister, Kirkstone, Hartside and Mennock Pass.

Blog is taking MUCH longer than the climbs, but my youtube channel also has most of the climbs already uploaded which was taking the time.

www.100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.com

Cheers

M
  • mroli
    @randomman - sorry for not replying sooner - probably going down to Dartmoor sometime later this year (Oct/Nov) - I'm banking on the fact that the weather will stay better for longer "down South"!

Gearing - using a compact, 50/34 with a 12/26 cassette. Generally try and only go down into the 26 if I really need to. Generally I really need to.

Bike is a Condor Squadra weighing in at around 8.6 kilos - with seat pack, pump etc on it, closer to 9.4!
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    mroli wrote:
    @randomman - sorry for not replying sooner - probably going down to Dartmoor sometime later this year (Oct/Nov) - I'm banking on the fact that the weather will stay better for longer "down South"!

Gearing - using a compact, 50/34 with a 12/26 cassette. Generally try and only go down into the 26 if I really need to. Generally I really need to.

Bike is a Condor Squadra weighing in at around 8.6 kilos - with seat pack, pump etc on it, closer to 9.4!

Thanks for the reply, I can understand the delay looking at your schedule! You're doing great, I reckon I would have put a granny ring on if I was doing it so well done.
    I'm hoping to get up to the Lakes soon, I might walk up Wrynose :wink:
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I've really enjoying reading your blog. I've posted a link up to the blog in another place where I also hang out http://www.mtbe.co.uk/100-uk-climbs-t15428.html

There are a few North East based road riders on there. If you want some advice on the North York Moors and Yorkshire Dales climbs then give us a shout. I'm looking forward to your accounts of the climbs.
  • mroli
    Thanks @hugo14 - that's really appreciated - part of what we're trying to do is raise the profile of the charity - for example, we got an email last week from a large company as one of their CSR members knows of us. They had a load of toys that they wanted to give to children's charities, but didn't know where to start. We know charities that are in desperate need, so we put them in touch and yesterday I picked up and delivered 4 large boxes of spanking new toys. So the more people that know about us, the more we can do this sort of thing!

Thank you for the North Yorkshire tips as well - Rosedale is the one that I'm really "worried" about - is it as steep as everyone says?!

I've linked into to all the photos and videos on youtube for the climbs that didn't have them now - so they're looking more comprehensive!
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    mroli wrote:
    Rosedale is the one that I'm really "worried" about - is it as steep as everyone says?!

It's pretty steep. Only been up once myself.

The advice I got was to take it very steady as you leave the village. It's probably 15%ish at this point but the best bits are to come. You'll cross a cattle grid and then this is where the fun starts :D A tight right hand bend and then the road rises up like a wall of tarmac in front of you. As you go up here you will see a tight bend to the left. You need to hope that no cars are coming down as you really need to be on the wrong side of the road at that point. Once round the bend it's still pretty steep for a bit but eventually it drops back to 15% (it feels like it is flat compared to the previous bit!!) and you will be able to grind your way to the top for the standard photo under the sign that says "cyclists dismount".

You made it up Hardknott so you'll be fine up Rosedale.
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    Mroli- I'm running a sportive on 16th July that has Halifax Lane and Shibden Wall in the long route. You can have a free entry if you want as I love the blog.

http://www.polocini.com/over-tops.html

If you look on my site there are videos of the climbs from the book that I have featured in my events http://www.polocini.com/King-othe-hill.html Polocini are the first sportives to get the official 100 climbs seal of approval!!!!

It's a top book. And Simon Warren is a great guy. I can't wait for volume 2.

AL
  • petemadoc
    edited July 2011
    Bwlch y groes report

So we did a longish ride last weekend around this area and ended up climbing Bwlch y groes from the North (Bala direction). It was an undulating long climb but nothing too bad. We then descended to the East towards Llyn Efyrnwy, the descent was a nightmare but the lake at the bottom was a real treat.

I now know that the real Bwlch y Groes climb is from the south and boy does that look like a killer. Very long and very steep. I will have to go back and try that one!
  • mroli
    @polocini - thank you very much for the offer, I'm afraid that I am on best man duties on that day (which has already caused me to pull out of the Dunwich Dynamo!) so I won't be able to make it I'm afraid.

I have my fingers crossed for a sunny dry day though - wet conditions on those hills could cause havoc - especially across cobbles!

Maybe next year?

And will people STOP saying how hard Bwlch Y Groes is :lol:
  • petemadoc
    mroli wrote:

And will people STOP saying how hard Bwlch Y Groes is :lol:

Let me know when your doing it, It might inspire me to driver over and do it too :D

I bet it's easy really
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    No worries fella. I'm loving the blog though. Keep up the good work!!!

AL
  • mroli
    A few more hills up on there - including rest and be Thankful, Bealach Na Ba and Cairn Gorm. Scotland is fricking beautiful!

www.100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.com
  • mroli
    It has been a while since I posted on this page - but I'm up to 84 now (81 on the blog). Just North Wales, North Yorkshire, Leicestershire (although I have done it already this year!), Lincoln, Essex and a couple in the South West to do now... www.100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.com
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Well done mate, nearly there!
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    mroli wrote:
    It has been a while since I posted on this page - but I'm up to 84 now (81 on the blog). Just North Wales, North Yorkshire, Leicestershire (although I have done it already this year!), Lincoln, Essex and a couple in the South West to do now... http://www.100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.com

Top stuff! Keep it up, not far left to go...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Hadn't realised there were any climbs of note in Leicestershire or Essex! I assume Lincoln is the Michaelgate climb used in the Lincoln GP?

By the way, drove down the Bwlch y Groes (proper side) again the other day and it really does look tough!! I think I'd struggle with a 30 x 28 on it (sorry) :wink:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    mroli wrote:
    It has been a while since I posted on this page - but I'm up to 84 now (81 on the blog). Just North Wales, North Yorkshire, Leicestershire (although I have done it already this year!), Lincoln, Essex and a couple in the South West to do now... http://www.100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.com

JUST North Yorkshire?????? thats where all the best climbs and most beautiful scenery is
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Great effort mate!