not so much what bike as what model

simonc2806
simonc2806 Posts: 31
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
hi all i'm looking to buy a boardman hybrid the comp or team. I'm leaning towards the team my question is this is it worth the extra money. its a big price difference i know the team has Hydraulic Disc brakes but are they worth the extra money. i would really like the pro but thats a bit out of my price range.

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Hybraulic discs are a lot better than cable, I wouldn't even entertain even thinking of buying a bike with cable discs, it would be a deal breaker.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Hmm, I'm not convinced. Hydraulic discs will obviously be a little trickier to maintain and Avids cable discs are pretty good.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Get the one with Hydro's, Avid cable discs are good, but IMO trickier to maintain than Hydro's, which only need a bleed every year or so, and new pads just as often as cable discs.

And everything else will be better quality too.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have Avid Juicy 3 hydraulics on my MTB. I haven't touched them in 2 and a half years and at least 6000 miles. I think most people get into trouble when they bleed them unnecessarily. If they work, leave them alone. (Don't touch! Leave that bleed kit alone!! Put it down.......)

That said, the pads tend to stick slightly resulting in irritating squeaks. One day, when they break, I'll probably replace them with Shimano brakes. Personally, for a bike ridden on the road, I'd avoid discs altogether.
    Faster than a tent.......