the confusing world of tubeless

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
will it work if I run a folding (non ust) tyer with latex and no tube on a ust tubeless rim???
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Some will, the trouble with UST rims is the very pronounced well, the bead on standard tyres tends to retreat down there!

Look at tubeless ready, like Bontrager, Schwalbe, Specialized or Continental, UST bead with a standard carcass, so much lighter.
  • njee has just done a brill summary of the likely following discussion. Most non tyres will work ok after an amount of faffing/latex/compresors..... Proper UST work out of the box (usually). Your time - your money.

What exact combination do you have in mind? (from an avid ghetto fan btw!)
  • will it work if I run a folding (non ust) tyer with latex and no tube on a ust tubeless rim???

Pedantic bit of correction here. UST has nothing to do with the flexiblity of the bead. UST tubes fold just like any other tyre without a steel bead.
    UST standard is to do with the profile of the bead and a 'self sealing" (alledgely) coating on the inside of the tyre.

There may be some issues with the strength of the bead on some makes of tyres, I tried with non UST Panaracer Fire XC's but the tyre blew off when trying to seat it at 35psi.
    Schwalbe and continentals seem to work well.
  • I was hoping to use some 2.4 continental supersonics on a bontrager rhythm comp scandium rims on my remedy for the summer
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • The rims are tubeless ready. Will this combination be okay? Any advise on which latex to use?
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    IMO Conti SSs are very inconsistent, some are a very loose fit, some go up straight away. I used to use Explorer and Speed Kings, but gave up.

The new Conti Race Sports are tubeless ready, which will make your life easier, but I think it's only in the more xc biased tyres.

I personally think the plastic strips on those rims make things harder. If it were me I'd try a Stan's rimstrip in there.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    The rims are tubeless ready. Will this combination be okay? Any advise on which latex to use?

Out of past experience, Stans latex works better than Joes, it's a thicker consistency and initially seals much better.
    Caffelatex is supposed to be very good, but I've not tried it.

I've always used Specialized Blue Tape and Roval tubeless valves.
    The tape is £10 and will be enough for a few sets of rims (or a couple of c0ck ups)
    The valves are £3 each.

I've converted various rims with this method, most recently the DT Swiss M1800 rims on my EX9. (the DT Swiss kit for these rims is £33 EACH wheel)
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    I have tried sealants by Hutchinson, Geax and Effeto. The Effeto Caffe Latex (CL) is much more fluid than most sealants. I use a syringe to squeeze about 100 ml through the valve stem without having to remove the valve core. In 6 months, the CL sealant has stayed fluid and is still effective unlike the Geax sealant, which worked well as a sealant but dried up after 6 months, and the Hutch product, which didn't work at all for me, although I believe they have changed their formulation since I last tried it.
  • AMcK
    AMcK Posts: 79
    I'm a newbie to the tubeless world, just got my first set of UST rims (Mavic CrossMax ST) and tubeless ready tyres. One thing I can't work out - in going fully tubeless, using the Mavic UST valve set and Stans sealant - do I need any rim tape? Can't see why, but my bro-in-law insists I probably do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance....
    2011 Black Canyon Nerve XC9.0
  • vanamees
    vanamees Posts: 75
    AMcK wrote:
    I'm a newbie to the tubeless world, just got my first set of UST rims (Mavic CrossMax ST) and tubeless ready tyres. One thing I can't work out - in going fully tubeless, using the Mavic UST valve set and Stans sealant - do I need any rim tape? Can't see why, but my bro-in-law insists I probably do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance....
    UST rims dont need rim tape.