Brake lever positioning: right front, left rear?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
I bought my very first road bike a couple of weeks ago through eBay and it has been set up with the front brake on the left and the rear on the right (contrary to any of the single speeds I have been riding for the last year or so) and, having read up on the pros and cons of such a set up at Sheldon Brown, I fully intend to swap them around. I do see an advantage, however, in being able to brake with the dominant front brake in the left hand while shifting down with the right. Is it really just as easy to brake and shift with the right hand only? Is there a technique to learn? Might it make sense to stick with things as they are? Your thoughts, as always, would be appreciated.

Comments

• Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Bikes in Mainland Europe typically run right/rear and left/front. You get better cable runs.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I don't think I ever really brake and change down at the same time. I either change down first, then coast & brake, or I take off the speed first, and then change down as I coast to a stop, with a nudge of the brakes to stop me. Changing gear requires pedalling, and it doesn't make sense to me to be pedalling while braking.

I haven't read the Sheldon Brown article, but if the other way round were that much more advantageous (or the normal way in the UK so disadvantageous), I dare say we'd all be doing it.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Right front, same as just about all motorbikes worldwide.

I can see no reason whatsoever to have front left (well apart from embarrassing clots like me who forget this fact when borrowing mates bikes so wired thus going straight over the bars when attempting to impress g/f with skilful skid!).
    "Coming through..."
  • jonny_trousers
    Bikes in Mainland Europe typically run right/rear and left/front. You get better cable runs.

Yeah, this bike came from France.
    Agent57 wrote:
    I haven't read the Sheldon Brown article, but if the other way round were that much more advantageous (or the normal way in the UK so disadvantageous), I dare say we'd all be doing it.

Something about sides of the roads that we ride on coupled with indicating before a turn that I didn't quite understand. I guess the best argument for it is that most of us are right handed.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Agent57 wrote:
    I don't think I ever really brake and change down at the same time. I either change down first, then coast & brake, or I take off the speed first, and then change down as I coast to a stop, with a nudge of the brakes to stop me. Changing gear requires pedalling, and it doesn't make sense to me to be pedalling while braking.

It's not actually pedalling as such... Just rotating the drive so that you're in the right gear for when you get on the power.
    The Euro cable routing does offer better cable runs, for smoother operation. all my bikes are now left/front, right/rear.. No big deal.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i cant really see that a couple of inches difference in where the cable goes to will make much difference. In fact it would be worse on the rear of some bikes that have internal routing that runs diagonalyin the frame.
  • best rule of thumb, is that you want the rear brake on the side with your stronger hand.. Although most of your braking will come from the front, putting it on the 'weaker' hand lessens the possibility of an panic jjab at the brakes sending you over the bars..
    Also, if you look at how many frames are laid out, you'll get better cable routing with rear on right.
    UK is the only place I've been to with the front on the right... . I've not seen it anywhere else and I've cycled around the globe a fair amount..
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... y/cycling/
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    For me, the continental approach i.e. right rear, to give better cable runs and this is usually what most serious/club/racing cyclists prefer.

However as above and because we ride on the left hand side of the road, I understand that the main reason why traditionally pre-assembled bikes sold in the UK have right front set up is because when turning right and signalling with your arm out it still allows you to use the left brake for rear wheel braking which is thought to be the safer option to prevent you being shot over your handlebars in an emergency braking situation.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I don't think either is really better or worse but I just can't get on with the continental set up after 30 odd years of using the UK convention.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rake wrote:
    i cant really see that a couple of inches difference in where the cable goes to will make much difference. In fact it would be worse on the rear of some bikes that have internal routing that runs diagonalyin the frame.

Biggest benefit is the front - look how awkward the cable run is to the front caliper and how tight the radius with right front braking. Probably doesn't make that much difference (though it does look a lot neater) but in the absence of any real counter benefit to right front braking, I've set my road bikes up for left front (but left my MTB right front as it is more faff to change :lol: )
    Faster than a tent.......
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I've set my road bikes up for left front (but left my MTB right front as it is more faff to change
    That could get interesting when instinct takes over in an emergency situation. Have all bikes the same.
    I don't know why they did it that way but the cable run on my Trek 5.2 is perfect for a LH rear brake. The cable clears the head tube nicely as it goes round to enter the top tube on the RH side. It would be a bit tight with RH rear.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    John.T wrote:
    I've set my road bikes up for left front (but left my MTB right front as it is more faff to change
    That could get interesting when instinct takes over in an emergency situation. Have all bikes the same..

Fortunately I'm forgetful enough that I don't have any instinct :lol:

I find I get used to it - I ran left and right hand drive cars for a while. Initially, I kept trying to change gear in the lhd car with the door catch!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I think the only thing that matters is that you get used to one setup and stick with it. Having used front/right all of my life the last thing I would want to do is swap them around!

I don't see the cable runs being an issue at all really - I certainly have never had any problems with excessive friction on the front cable with the right hand setup, only on the rear, and I think that's more to do with the length of the cable and the routing at the back tha it is with the routing at the front.
  • John.T
    I don't see the cable runs being an issue at all really - I certainly have never had any problems with excessive friction on the front cable with the right hand setup, only on the rear, and I think that's more to do with the length of the cable and the routing at the back tha it is with the routing at the front.
    Never had any problem here either. More to do with how the cable runs round the head tube to avoid rubbing it.On my Madone it sits well clear.
  • jonny_trousers
    hopper1 wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

It's not actually pedalling as such... Just rotating the drive so that you're in the right gear for when you get on the power.

Yeah, that's what I've discovered. I am a beginner where correct shifting is concerned, however.

Thanks for the differing perspectives guys. I actually quite like it the way it is presently set up and am tempted to swap my single speed over to the same system rather than messing with the road bike. I guess much of it comes down to personal preference only.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    hopper1 wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

Yeah, that's what I've discovered. I am a beginner where correct shifting is concerned, however.

Thanks for the differing perspectives guys. I actually quite like it the way it is presently set up and am tempted to swap my single speed over to the same system rather than messing with the road bike. I guess much of it comes down to personal preference only.[/quote]

Nail/ Head... Hit! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    I'm totally left handed so have my TT extensions in reverse, it's so much easier. road wise, I do it without thinking. Can't remember which way around they are lol.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    As a motorbike rider there's no way I'd want to be alternating between sides.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • John.T
    It does not matter which way you have them as long as you know which is which without thinking about it.