Jenson Button and Andy Priaulx in local 25

ozzzyosborn206
ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
edited May 2011 in Amateur race
as the title suggests JB and Andy are on the start list for our local 25mile tt on sunday, be interesting to see how quick the are without big engines

Comments

• furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Easy peasy; Jenson.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I don't know Andy's cycling prowess, but Jensen is a pretty decent triathlete, so I'd imagine he's fairly handy on a bike.

What TT is it?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    JB will be very quick for sure - superfit and not an ounce of spare fat on him. That maybe where he has the edge on AP. Great to see these drivers racing on bikes helping to put to bed the myth about the fitness of racing drivers.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • JB will be very quick for sure - superfit and not an ounce of spare fat on him. That maybe where he has the edge on AP. Great to see these drivers racing on bikes helping to put to bed the myth about the fitness of racing drivers.

What myth is that?

The current generation are renowned for taking personal fitness to very high levels.
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    Interesting - be sure to update us with the results!
  • meanredspider
    JB will be very quick for sure - superfit and not an ounce of spare fat on him. That maybe where he has the edge on AP. Great to see these drivers racing on bikes helping to put to bed the myth about the fitness of racing drivers.

What myth is that?

The current generation are renowned for taking personal fitness to very high levels.

That's exactly what I meant. Too many people think driving an F1 car is just sitting there and turning the wheel
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • danowat
    Its tomorrow, Guernsey VC 25, results will be on their website at some point
  • ozzzyosborn206
    i am looking forward to it, unfortunately i am starting before them so not getting the chance to try and catch them, will let you know how they and myself get on, we also have a road race on sunday but not sure if they are doing that
  • MadGuern
    MadGuern Posts: 6
    would love to watch but too tired after local sportif and training ride this morning. Another early start will push me over the edge. Good luck to all the Guernsey Riders tomorrow the best result is a Guernsey winner.

Whilst my heart says Andy will be better the brain says Jenson, super fit and triathlete has to be the favourite

Go Andy
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878

:lol: You've got one hell of a chip on your shoulder there.
  • meanredspider
    P_Tucker wrote:

Nope (well, probably yes :wink: ) but there's so many incredibly ignorant people out there (some on here)..... :roll: :wink:
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker wrote:

Nope (well, probably yes :wink: ) but there's so many incredibly ignorant people out there (some on here)..... :roll: :wink:

Well, it IS a terribly important issue so I can see why you get so wound up about it. I mean, what would happen if someone thought that F1 drivers were unfit? I'm pretty sure the world as we know it would end.
  • danowat
    Andy Priaulx 01:06:59
    Jenson Button 01:02:54

Don't know how fast the course is, but I expected better!!!!
  • P_Tucker
    danowat wrote:
    Andy Priaulx 01:06:59
    Jenson Button 01:02:54

Don't know how fast the course is, but I expected better!!!!

What was the winning time?
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    55:12 was best time. Not sure how quick the course is compared to UK courses - whenever the local guys seem to go over they seem to run a good couple of minutes faster over on "the mainland".

It was a bit sticky today, Jenson beat me by 14 seconds the b*s*ard!
  • meanredspider
    P_Tucker wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

Well, it IS a terribly important issue so I can see why you get so wound up about it. I mean, what would happen if someone thought that F1 drivers were unfit? I'm pretty sure the world as we know it would end.

Let's face it - this is BR - there's nothing discussed on here worth giving a second thought to - the less important, the more heated the discussion.... And the less people know, the more willing they are to put forward a position as fact :wink:
  • P_Tucker
    True. So, JB's time - Jesus, did he stop for a cup of tea?
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    P_Tucker wrote:

He probably realised the futility of time trialling on his way round and lost the will to compete. :wink:
  • ozzzyosborn206
    Jenson was on a scott tt bike, while Andy was on a tarmac with clip ons, so he could probably take a few minutes off his time if he had a tt bike, i did a 57. 39 which i was disappointed with, could never get going in a decent rhythm, i have never done a 25 in england, but judging by the guys who have done that fast welsh course(not sure what its called) it was about 5/6 minutes slower yesterday
  • meanredspider
    Here's what he had to say
    JensonButton Jenson Button
    Did a 40km bike time trial yesterday here in Guernsey & got totally destroyed!! the guys here r fast! Good 2 c @andypriaulx breathing hard!
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 227
    I pb'd at 57.15, 1st 20 riders were all under an hour.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    So JB is reasonably fit, no surprise there. Not exactly at the pinnacle of cycling fitness though.

Yes, he would kick my arse.
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    Jenson was on a scott tt bike, while Andy was on a tarmac with clip ons, so he could probably take a few minutes off his time if he had a tt bike, i did a 57. 39 which i was disappointed with, could never get going in a decent rhythm, i have never done a 25 in england, but judging by the guys who have done that fast welsh course(not sure what its called) it was about 5/6 minutes slower yesterday

The R25/3L or R25/3H ostensibly same course, slightly different finish position, though neither go back up the 5 mile hill which you come down on the way out. Most poeople were 2-3 minutes slower yesterday (Ogmore 25) compared to the event 2 weeks earlier, mainly because of the strong N easterly head wind after the turn. FWIW the Doc was 1-17 down yesterday (which meant he did a middle 48 !!)
  • P_Tucker
    SheffSimon wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

He probably realised the futility of time trialling on his way round and lost the will to compete. :wink:

It's possible. I had a similar epiphany during my first (and only) DC 10, and stopped about halfway around. Then I realised that I'd have to ride down a dual carriageway to get back to the start anyway, and I might as well do that as fast as I could - for safety more than anything. When I PB'd by 2 and a half minutes, despite my stop, I had another epiphany - comparing times for TTs is utterly pointless.

Big day for me that.