Hope Seat Clamp Seized Up

mini-eggs
mini-eggs Posts: 811
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Went for a ride in Afan argoed this morning, and my seat post kept slipping down. Easy I thought, just tighten up the seat clamp, but the nut has seized up. :evil: every section I had to raise my saddle.

Its been soaking in WD40 all day, and just gone at it with pliers, vice and mole grippers and it just wont budge.

Suggestions??? If no luck over the weekend, might speak to Hope and see if they can supply a spare rod and nut
Follow me on....Google+
Shop here....eBay Shop

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    could maybe try putting some heat on it, i've heard of people doing this with seized bolts
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well WD40 aint much use as a release agent.

try Plus Gas.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Same thing happened to me with a Hope clamp. I soaked it in GT85 then dropped it in a pan of boiling water for a minute. The clamp bolt undid nice and easy. Dont forget some gloves though, I just used a rag and nearly boiled my fingers.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Once you've got it undone, buy a cheapo, less tarty seat clamp. I have a hope one on my second bike, and frankly, it's useless.
  • mini-eggs
    Thanks for the suggestions, shall give it another go today. :)
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yup, Home seat clamps are a complete waste of time.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    RTFM!
    You need to lube the brass parts of the Hope clamp before use. It is a good bit of British manufactured kit with great back up. All you need to do is maintain it as you should any other part. Do your bit for the economy and the planet, buy British where possible.
    Rant over.
  • stubs
    Matt 24k wrote:
    RTFM!
    You need to lube the brass parts of the Hope clamp before use. It is a good bit of British manufactured kit with great back up. All you need to do is maintain it as you should any other part. Do your bit for the economy and the planet, buy British where possible.
    Rant over.

I disagree some Hope stuff is excellent however in my experience there seat clamps and wheel skewers are badly designed shiny crap. Anyone who lives and rides in Britain should not be designing somthing that needs maintenance after every ride to try and keep it working.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Brass is self lubricating. That's why there are such things as maintenance free brass bushings, and why you can machine it without coolant.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Chromag is only £5 more than Hope, and is worlds apart in temrs of real life quality. Not as blingy though.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • mini-eggs
    Its not the brass part / QR lever that is stuck, that end is all fine.

Its the other end, the nut thing that's stuck.

Still no joy, its been in boiling water, did make a lovely cup of tea though
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    nicklouse wrote:
    wd40 is a pentrating fluid and is more than suitable for realising siezed bolts etc .

Also plus one on the Chromag is far superior to the hope clamp .
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I've had nothing but good experience with my hope seat post. Used them on 2 bikes now, and never had a single problem, no slips and no seizure.
  • I was about to buy a red Hope clamp just for the bling factor till I read this thread, maybe I should stay away then.
    Padyak rider
  • stubs
    I was about to buy a red Hope clamp just for the bling factor till I read this thread, maybe I should stay away then.

The problem with the Hope clamp its no better than a cheapo one from Halfords. If your prepared to keep it clean and strip it down regulary to clean the crap out of the gubbins and oil the threads you should be fine. They look pretty but £20 a pop they should be a whole lot better,

Dont have a problem with Hope as a rule, I really rate there Bottom Brackets and Headsets but there wheel skewers are a shoddy death trap. A lad who rides with us occasionally turned up one day with shiny new Hope skewers. Half an hour into ride he has to stop and tighten the front then again and again and again and Oh for fucks sake not again. When we finally got back to car park we watched and howled with laughter as he took his shiny new Hope skewers out put them carefuly on the ground then bashed them into scrap with a rock.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    paul20v wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    wd40 is a pentrating fluid and is more than suitable for realising siezed bolts etc .

I'm with Nick on this one, and not just becasue he is bigger than me!! :shock:

WD40 = Water Dispersant, 40 being the number of attempts at the formula before they got ti o do that, or at least that is how I remember it.

Not designed to free seized bolts and certainly not for lubing chains.... yet people do.

PlusGas is the stuff that should be used as it has better penetratng properties.