how long do spd pedals last

weii
weii Posts: 23
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
i have M520 spd pedal for 8000 odd miles, or about 1 year worth of commuting. i am a bit tight as to money, is it time for me to change the pedal? i recently notice pedal making some funny rattling noises, at least i think they come from the pedals.
the important question is, is spd pedal on of these thing that essentially last forever?

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Have you greased the bearings? Is the noise from the pedal itself or the pedal/cleat interface?
    More problems but still living....
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Service them (search the how-to's here on BR). At worst you'll have wasted 15mins and have to shell out £18 for new ones when you can, at best you'll get another couple of years, or more if you keep up maintenance, out of them. If you're careful you don't need the Shimano tool, just some grease.

I've had SPD pedals that lasted 8yrs. Others gave up after 2-3yrs. That's almost entirely offroad, but with less mileage (maybe 3k per year). I've never actually had one break though; just replaced them when I felt like it mostly.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I've some of the very first Deore XT SPD's, maybe nearly 20 years old, and with "starship" miles. I've regreased the bearings a few times and replaced them (the ball bearings) perhaps once. If the current pedals are similar – they should be good for a while yet.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Yep, the Shimano SPD's last years - still got my XT versions from 16 years ago in servicable condition.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    Ive had mine 16 years... (Ritchey WCS from 1994) never re-greased them just a squirt of gt 85 now and then.

:)

Dave.

PS they are a bit rusty and look worse for wear but hey they still work fine..
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    weii wrote:
    i have M520 spd pedal for 8000 odd miles, or about 1 year worth of commuting. i am a bit tight as to money, is it time for me to change the pedal? i recently notice pedal making some funny rattling noises, at least i think they come from the pedals.
    the important question is, is spd pedal on of these thing that essentially last forever?

8000 miles!!! ???

If you had a car would you not service it regularly and expect things to get worn after 8000 miles?

You do 153 miles a week yes? If they are buggered then just spend the £20 replacing them.

Unless you have the time and inclination to take them off and replace the bearings and grease - which will probably cost you a tenner!!

Christ - if any component on my bike or car lasted for 8000 miles I would be celebrating the fact. And if it started playing up I would happily replace it.

Some people...
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    Under £14 delivered on fleabay

Not worth the faff messing with em' !
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Griffsters wrote:
    Under £14 delivered on fleabay

Not worth the faff messing with em' !

+1 - at that price, I treat them as disposable items on my commuting bikes that live outside in all weathers - I reckon I get about 4-5k miles out of a pair so pretty good on a "pence per mile" basis
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Thebigbee wrote:
    Christ - if any component on my bike or car lasted for 8000 miles I would be celebrating the fact. And if it started playing up I would happily replace it.

Some people...

If most of the components on your bike and car aren't lasting 8000 miles, you must be buying some really, really crap transport.........

I'd leave those Apollos in Halfords if I were you :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Rolf F wrote:
    Thebigbee wrote:

Some people...

If most of the components on your bike and car aren't lasting 8000 miles, you must be buying some really, really crap transport.........

I'd leave those Apollos in Halfords if I were you :wink:

Gonna say - I'd be disappointed these days if the oil didn't last 8000 miles. Most service intervals are at least 12,000 and 20,000 isn't uncommon.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • weii
    weii Posts: 23
    so the general view is that spd pedals last forever. that is good to hear.

oops on the 8k miles a year, more like 20 a day on the daily work commute, 100 a week, with a bit more for shopping and weekend, say 6000 a year. my great plan is chains and cassette every 2k miles, chain ring once a year, the other bit of the drive train, cones, wheels, pads, when it breaks. it is good to know that at least the pedal (along with say, the saddle) will last forever.