Press fit BB replacement costs

popstar
popstar Posts: 1,392
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
BB on my Zesty has died. Bought FSA bb to replace old one. Now as it goes, I don't have tools to do the job myself, failed spectacularly buying Ice-Toolz home mechanic set only to realise that I need different tools :oops: . Checked CRC for BB tools and at around £150 don't think I could justify that kind of price.

Question is, before I go to various LBS what's the decent price to pay for press fit BB replacement? I really hate to be told how hard job is due to this n that and all BS involved with it.

Thank you in advance.
What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    My local shop charge £5-8 for BB or headset replacements depending on who answers the phone or who's in the shop when you go in :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    err that BB you have linked to is not a press fit BB.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    I'm not at the sharp end of knowledge about those BB's you see, just followed advice from Lapierre forums and bought one as that was recommended over Shimano one.

Hope I'm not wrong with explaining.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    I think nicklouse is looking at the linked picture, which looks like a threaded BB. WeloveLapierre mention on their website forum that they sell a pressfit FSA BB so I think they just got the picture wrong. You can easily check as the pressfit BB will not have any threads - the cups that hold the bearings are smooth.

As to how to fit the thing, I may be able to help as I have replaced the BB on my Zesty twice now.

Step 1: remove the old BB (probably a Shimano pressfit). When I attempted this the first time, I did not have a removal tool and I destroyed the BB trying to remove it with a piece of an old handlebar and hammer. The removal tool makes the job A LOT easier. You can get this one: Park Tool BB Bearing Remover Tool - BBT90 - http://www.parktool.com/product/pressfi ... t-bbt-90-3, or you can make one by cutting vertical slots in a piece of copper pipe (diam less than 24mm) and gently bending the resulting leaves outward. Check out the photo of the Park tool and you'll get the idea.

Step 2: install the new BB. Grease the cups and push them in. I tapped mine in with a hammer and block of wood but if it's a tight fit, you may need a press. I have read of people using headset presses for this but you can also make one for cheap. I purchased 12mm threaded rod, a bunch of washers and 4 nuts. The washers were larger diameter than the cups. Line up the cups, get them partway seated and then put your bolt with washers through the spindle hole. When you tighten the nuts, the washers will press the cup in to the frame. Do it slowly and make sure the cups go in straight.

step 3: re-install the cranks and ride.

Hope this helps!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Would a headset removal tool work?
    @popstar if so DK has one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I fitted a Real World Cycling ceramic press fit BB (ordered from US) as recommended by dpaulett to my 8500; it is lovely and smooth.

Most of if pushed in with stern fingers, but then I pulled it up home with threaded bar and thick washers.

If you do it yourself, when you pull it in, make sure you pull on the housing rather than through the bearing itself.
  • goddag
    goddag Posts: 15
    I SUCCESFULLY FITTED PRESSFIT 92 TO MY WHIPPET USING THE WOODEN HAMMER & BLOCK METHOD. SEEMS TO BE HOLDING AFTER 3 MONTHS.

THE HOME MADE ADJUSTER SOUDS LIKE A BETTER SOLUTION THOUGH, IT IS HARD TO KNOCK THE BEARING INTO PLACE WITHOUT HITTING THE BEARING RATHER THAN THE HOUSING.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh my ears.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    cooldad wrote:
    Aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh my ears.
    Don't you mean your eyes?