Advise on suspension

red eye
red eye Posts: 264
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Apart from looking stupid what is the downside to run 100mm front travel and 200mm rear?

The frames a club roost dh8 not brought it yet, just doing a bit of research as I only ever ridden HT's so this is new to me.

Was thinking of converting it to 100mm somehow until I get a bigger fork.

also if you have recommendations for a cheep short travel frame feel free

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a lot.

1 there are no frames designed for it.

2 do you like your face?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • red eye
    Ok, what about moving the shock mount with a new plate?
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I would not do it personally, just try getting someone who would weld a new plate,using AC TIG welding.Secondly the geometry would be all to pot.

Do you self a favour and keep your HT frame with your 100mm fork or get a correct full suss frame.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    red eye wrote:
    Im after a cheep short travel free ride FS frame set
    then later...
    red eye wrote:
    Apart from looking stupid what is the downside to run 100mm front travel and 200mm rear?

So you're after a cheap short travel frame, but you're thinking of buying a 200mm travel DH beast?
    What kind of medication are you on?
  • red eye
    red eye wrote:
    then later...
    red eye wrote:

So you're after a cheap short travel frame, but you're thinking of buying a 200mm travel DH beast?
    because the frame is cheap the others are double that. and I thought reducing the travel on the frame will keep the geo the same apart from bb height.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    BB height reduced by 100mm, you may need 145mm cranks just to turn them!

Sounds like a good way to waste a stack of money building a cr@p 'cheap' bike!

As has been said, just do it properly! Besides the Roost is a heavyweight downhiller that will now be useless for DH but still rubbish on trails and uphill due to the weight and frame sizing etc.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    red eye wrote:
    red eye wrote:
    then later...
    red eye wrote:

because the frame is cheap the others are double that. and I thought reducing the travel on the frame will keep the geo the same apart from bb height.
    It's not just the travel. A DH bik will weigh as much as a house. And that's just ONE problem.
    There are lighter, shorter travel frames available on Chainreaction, like, for example, the Viper Freeplay frame.
    Given that, the only conclusion is that you're a bit mental. And not in a good way.
  • red eye
    I was looking at the viper, whats up with the seat post can it be adjusted?
  • Are you trolling?
  • red eye
    :?
  • Mate, you said it all with your first four words!

If you post silly questions, you're going to get silly answers! :lol: