Well, I'll not be doing that again in a hurry!

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited April 2011 in MTB general
I had quite a few drinks last night, and didn't end up getting into bed until 3am (I'm way too old for that kind of stuff and not something I usually do), but I figured I'd still go for a ride this morning.

I felt a little light-headed, and knew that it wouldn't be the easiest of rides, but I got into the swing of things after a while...until I tried to do a small jumpon my way home.

I have no jumping skills whatsoever, but I'm trying to obtain some and get more confidence. I decided to go down a small descent which leads to a small jump just as you level out. Oooh, big mistake. I somehow managed to go head first over the bars on landing and look a right proper t*t in the process.

What in the world possessed me to do that, after last night, is beyond me, but I suppose it woke me up. I can't jump over things as it is, and I've just learned that alcohol doesn't help either.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I did a similar thing after some "party ciggarettes" years ago. I got airbourne, then realised that I'd let go of the bike for some reason. hmm. Cure heavy, painful landing in a heap, on top of my bike, and a mental note to not ride after doing that again :lol:
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I massively overshot a jump last summer, we'd got bored of working halfway through the day and spent the afternoon in the pub, so I'd had a couple of drinks, went for a ride in the evening in good spirits.

Went down the bigger steeper drop in, hit the jump with loads more speed than was desired, overshot it by about 3m, when I realised how bad the landing was about to be I tried to ditch the bike and see if I could tuck and roll or somehow land gracefully, like a cat, bit like Bobo the freerunning cat from that cat food advert if you like.

I ended up landing on my head :roll:

The bike finished up quite a distance away in the bushes.

My cousin was laughing so hard, and to be fair so was I, must have looked brilliant. Thank god for helmets. :lol:
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    ooh God riding after a beer-up... I did that once. The rocks smashing against my face hurt a lot. It just wasn't my kind of riding :shock:
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
  • Johnny Napalm
    The first thing I did was to look round to see if any 'cool' kids were around...it would have been hilarious for them to see an old man fail miserably on a 2ft jump.

I suppose I'd better just keep two wheels on the floor in future and leave the air to the young 'uns. Man, I'm a turd at times.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Once upon a time, I crashed so bad over the bars on my ex HT... just about nearly dislocated my shoulder. It was heroic try to clear tabletop at way too high speed ... overshooting the whole thing flying into the ditch. Still do the same mistake from time to time, but these days I'm on full sus ... so as they say, skillscompensator does bail me out.

I still have that niggling fear of launching high into air so think few substances will help me, thanks for your free tip 8) .
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Johnny Napalm
    I suppose it's good to hear that I'm not the only one, but it does appear that at least you guys were doing something worthwhile...rather than a jump a 6yr-old could master! :oops:

The old shoulder and ribs are starting to ache a bit now, so tomorrow morning should be fun. :roll:
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Anonymous
    popstar wrote:
    Once upon a time, I crashed so bad over the bars on my ex HT... just about nearly dislocated my shoulder. It was heroic try to clear tabletop at way too high speed ... overshooting the whole thing flying into the ditch. Still do the same mistake from time to time, but these days I'm on full sus ... so as they say, skillscompensator does bail me out.

I still have that niggling fear of launching high into air so think few substances will help me, thanks for your free tip 8) .
    How does a full suss prevent you jumping into a ditch?
  • Johnny Napalm
    A full-suss didn't stop me making a t*t of myself today.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • popstar
    Full Suss makes me ride faster, I mean all that speed due to FS platform is sweet!

But surely when I bottom out FS wonder how would ever if at all I could stay on pedals with HT. Even though riding jumps n table tops on HT is more fun, but being spat out off the bike is no good. Them HT's are naughty beasts.

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Anonymous
    You're a pleb.
  • popstar
    You're a pleb.
    No, you.

• Johnny Napalm
    Play nicely.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • ed_arnold
    ed_arnold Posts: 65
    Against all sense of self-preservation I decided to freewheel down the road from the pub after being in there too long. Fell asleep whilst on the bike, went over a wall, buckled front wheel, and came to in a sea of stinging nettles. Not cool, and never again!
  • Duggan13
    Duggan13 Posts: 75
    I'm always amazed that people manage to get out with hangovers, I honestly don't think I could. Might have to make an effort to give it a try next time and see if I cope.
  • Anonymous
    Duggan13 wrote:
    I'm always amazed that people manage to get out with hangovers, I honestly don't think I could. Might have to make an effort to give it a try next time and see if I cope.
    I agree with you. I actually contest that what they have is not even a hangover, just a mild case of "feeling a little rough".
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I did a similar thing after some "party ciggarettes" years ago. I got airbourne, then realised that I'd let go of the bike for some reason. hmm. Cure heavy, painful landing in a heap, on top of my bike, and a mental note to not ride after doing that again :lol:
    So I guess that was the last time you rode?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    I've only ever had 1 hangover :). Vowedat the time that if I were to get a hangover everytime I drank, I would give up. Thankfully it must have just been a duff pint.