Heel Hitting Chainstay

WisePranker
WisePranker Posts: 823
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
I'm finding that when I'm riding, my right heel hits the chainstay when I'm pedalling.

I tend to walk quite 'toe-out' and have set the cleats accordingly on my shoes. The right cleat is set so the foot is as far away from the crank as possible but it's still hitting the chainstay.

I'm using Shimano M-540 SPD pedals and Specialized Comp MTB shoes.

Any suggestions as to what I can do or do I just have to put up with it?

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    If you do a search you'll find quite a bit on this "problem" which I share. Pedal extenders worked for me.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    you can try things like longer axles on the pedals, but if you ride a lot it would be better to get a professional assessment, a good bike fit should include this, it might be that the foot position on the bike can be changed (shims, footbeds, etc.) without causing problems
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I walk 'toes out' but have never set my cleats (and shoe plates in the distant past) any other way than straight. So my heel is just clear of the crank on max inward float. Never had any knee or other problems. You don't pedal the same way as you walk so why try to set up as if you did. Better to experiment to find the best position for you.
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Look up 'Q factor' .... you need to increase it. Pedal extenders are the bad way to increase Q factor. Some pedal/shoe systems come with ways of increasing the Q factor, and Time are good in this respect because they allow for high and low Q factor settings depending on which cleat you fit to which shoe.
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    John.T wrote:
    I walk 'toes out' but have never set my cleats (and shoe plates in the distant past) any other way than straight. So my heel is just clear of the crank on max inward float. Never had any knee or other problems. You don't pedal the same way as you walk so why try to set up as if you did. Better to experiment to find the best position for you.
    I agree