Hardrock 2007 sport help upgrading ( ANY ADVICE WELCOME)

c11r15
c11r15 Posts: 19
edited April 2011 in MTB buying advice
Ive had my hardrock for a few years now and wanting to really upgrade it can everyone suggest some upgrades. This is the bike spec http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... spid=22089
with a couple of upgrades with a thomson seat post and mavic crossride wheels.

Main reasons for upgrade is chain is jumping when pressure is applied to pedals so as well as replacing to sort problem out upgrading bike might as well be done as well

im wanting to know what deraileurs and maybe shifters i can buy to replace the current ones.

Also can i change the powerspline bottom bracket for any bottom bracket if replacing chain set.? would it be worth changing the type of bottom bracket so it opens options up a bit more for cranks?

Also if replacing cables is it worth a cable set or just inner cables whats people opinions ?
OR IS IT JUST WORTH A NEW BIKE LOL ANY ADVICE WELCOME

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    On any bike the best performance gain is found by upgrading the wheels, which you've done already.

If the drivetrain is worn out it maybe worth changing the bike.

However, new bike may be a lower spec than the bike you have now after upgrading.

I used to think it's best to change the whole bike, but now I think upgrading is the way to go, you can do it gradually as things wear out and funds allow.

There's no straight answer, I'd look at tyres, replacing the worn out drive train and then the fork.

I bet you end up confused!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • c11r15
    c11r15 Posts: 19
    ok thanks if i was to at least replace the drive train set can anyone recommend anything for me what would be a good upgrade? and also my other question about compatibility ? I think the chain is ok and cassette as that has been replaced when i replaced wheels its just everything else
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    SLX groupset from actionsports.de
    http://www.actionsports.de/gb/Components/Groupsets/Shimano-SLX-660-10-Komplettgruppe-3x10-fach::28904.html

Works out at about £200 including postage. It includes new mechs, shifters, chain, cassete, chainset and new bb.

Ive just ordered an xt groupset from them, it was significantly cheaper than the uk price and came within 3 days.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    The chances are if your chain is jumping then it's usually a worn cassette or chain rather than problems with the shifters or mechs. Does it happen in any particular gear combination ?
    You've said you think the chain & cassette are ok, how old are they and how have you checked them ?
    To check the chain measure the length of 24 links with a tape measure, they should measure exactly 12". If they are 12 1/16" or more then the chain should be replaced.
    Also, it there any chance you could post a close up pic of the cassette so we can have a look.

As for upgrades, for the best performance gain on your bike I'd look at changing the fork and converting to disk brakes. On-One are selling the RS Recon silver TK for £93 at the moment which would be a massive upgrade over the RST Gila that you're running at the moment.
    The brakes are a trickier issue as you have combined shifter / brake levers and to go to hydro brakes would mean new shifters as well, and you're running 8 speed so decent shifters are hard to get hold of.

I'd say you've got a caople of options, either sort out the existing drivetrain problems then look at changing the forks & possibly fitting a decent set of cable disks (On-one are selling Avid BB7 disks & calipers for £40 each end which would work with your existing levers) or alternatively, Get a Deore 9 speed groupset & brakes from merlin and upgrade the whole drivetrain to 9 speed & change the forks.