washing machines

Zephr
Zephr Posts: 60
edited May 2011 in The Crudcatcher
So,
Ive just moved into a new house, and i need to buy a washing machine.
Im in the Peak district, and Im going to be getting fairly claggy and muddy on a fairly regular basis. :shock:

As fellow MTBers who would tend to get in much the same state year round, do you happen to have any advice/tips on what model/make to get?
Ive looked at various "comment" sections on tinternet, and to be fair, joe public barely knows its butt from its elbow, and no-one agrees on anything...
(unsurprising).

So, any advice of what you (or your long suffering spouse/gf/bf/mum/auntie/serf/slave) uses, and whether its overflowed and destroyed your house etc. would be muchly appreciated.
FCN 11. When you hear the buzz of the nobblies, you know youve been scalped.

Comments

• Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Got me a 7Kg LG with 1400RPM spin cycle.
    Awesome machine, only needs a cold water source and the brushless motor has a 10 year guarantee
    No idea how much it cost as it was part of my relocation package, (the company fitted the house out with new appliances top to bottom)
  • Indesit Moon.

So easy to use even I can wash stuff (or I could if I didn't have a woman around to do these things for me :wink: )

Handles regular mud no probs, although in deepest winter when the muck is at it's thickest, I do tend to hose my stuff down before washing it.
  • loveaduck
    loveaduck Posts: 48
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/201 ... _moon.html

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/04/ind ... ne-251099/

I was thinking about getting one as they look so pretty, but after seeing the above, i am not to sure. Do you have any problems with your machine?
    "I love you less than cake, but way more than Marmite!"
  • 'Washing machines live longer with Calgon!"

Not guaranteed....
    GT Zaskar mmmmm yummy!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ditto. Does the job, and things come out properly clean. It's also disturbingly quiet in use.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    mine is behind a door beside the sink....

it says smeg on it....

put dirty clothes in.....shut door...put washy stuff in drawer....press play.....lots of going round and round...stops....open door...take clean clothes out.

thats all i know....but all in all...it does what its supposed to.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    brushed metallic grey ones are best
  • loveaduck wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2011/04/indesit_moon.html

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/04/ind ... ne-251099/

I was thinking about getting one as they look so pretty, but after seeing the above, i am not to sure. Do you have any problems with your machine?

Never had any such issues with ours, it's almost constantly in use too (due to the 2 nippers constantly getting grubby).
  • Raymondavalon
    Ditto. Does the job, and things come out properly clean. It's also disturbingly quiet in use.

Yeeha, very valid point, it is very quiet indeed...
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    wtf is this WHICH?

:lol:
  • montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • mak3m

lol
    it started raping the plants aggressively !
  • mak3m
    moving away from washing machines i purchased my first dyson today

must say im a lil disapointed the way dyson owners gush about these machines i exspected it to give me a BJ then make a quick bacon butty and a coffee

alas im still waiting

does it take a couple of days for this feature to kick in :?:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    mak3m wrote:
    moving away from washing machines i purchased my first dyson today

must say im a lil disapointed the way dyson owners gush about these machines i exspected it to give me a BJ then make a quick bacon butty and a coffee

alas im still waiting

does it take a couple of days for this feature to kick in :?:

This is the Dyson that gives a blow job.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Our Bosch washing machine has been by far the best we've had
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    Have a look at ISE machines. http://www.iseappliances.co.uk/ (appears to be down at the moment) Seemly they are built well, parts are reasonable, I think they are designed so a local repairman can fix them and are meant to be cheaper to repair than buying a new one.

I might be wrong but I think the electronics can be easily repaired vs a lot of machines which you end up fitting a new board. Which can be expensive.

I was looking at one about 3 years ago but they did not do an integrated version. Ended up going for an AEG. Have a look at John Lewis's own brand. I think they are still rebadged AEG's and come with 3yrs warranty.
  • Anonymous
    djrock wrote:
    I might be wrong but I think the electronics can be easily repaired vs a lot of machines which you end up fitting a new board. Which can be expensive.
    There's no reason why any board cannot be fixed. It usually comes down to the availability of repair crew with the neccesary expertise to diagnose ad repair board faults.
  • Raymondavalon
    I remember my old Indesit's logic board failed, I stripped it and replaced it. Ironically it has a Z80 processor fitted, woohoo, fuzzy logic with the power of a Sinclair Spectrum.. fantastic
  • Anonymous
    Z80s were probably the most commonly used logic units ever, because they were cheap and robust. We had to learn to program them using binary pulses in college, ooooh joy :?
  • djrock
    djrock wrote:
    There's no reason why any board cannot be fixed. It usually comes down to the availability of repair crew with the neccesary expertise to diagnose ad repair board faults.
    Yes of course they can be fixed but it’s the time and equipment to repair these fancy boards. This means it’s a manufacturer or a manufacturer authorized repairer that can fix it. Which can end up being expensive fix.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    djrock wrote:
    expensive fix.

thats like my cocaine habit that.
  • Anonymous
    djrock wrote:
    djrock wrote:
    Yes of course they can be fixed but it’s the time and equipment to repair these fancy boards. This means it’s a manufacturer or a manufacturer authorized repairer that can fix it. Which can end up being expensive fix.
    Sort of yeah. A truly good electronics engineer could fix it, but they don't come cheap. So replacing the board is a better option.
  • djrock
    Sort of yeah. A truly good electronics engineer could fix it, but they don't come cheap. So replacing the board is a better option.
    I don't think it would be that hard for an electronics engineer. What does not help is the use of smd's. Sneeze at the wrong moment and you will never find them. :shock:
  • Anonymous
    djrock wrote:
    I don't think it would be that hard for an electronics engineer. What does not help is the use of smd's. Sneeze at the wrong moment and you will never find them. :shock:
    Not sure. I've met a hell of a lot of people who's job title is "electronics engineer", but they actually know very little about electronics. I think the term has lost it's value somewhat.
  • mak3m
    . I think the term has lost it's value somewhat.

I once told somebody in a pub that i was an engineer and they asked me what i fixed :roll:
  • Anonymous
    mak3m wrote:
    . I think the term has lost it's value somewhat.

I once told somebody in a pub that i was an engineer and they asked me what i fixed :roll:
    When the obvious answer should have been...
    "Anything that's broken. And some things that don't even know they are broken yet" :lol:
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    miele
    best by far
  • djrock
    Not sure. I've met a hell of a lot of people who's job title is "electronics engineer", but they actually know very little about electronics. I think the term has lost it's value somewhat.
    I think there are a few other job titles that have went the same way.

You know you're talking to a proper electronics engineer, if you ask them a question and end up regretting asking it because half the info just went straight over your head. :D
    tri-sexual wrote:
    miele
    best by far
    I think one downside with miele is if you need a part for it, it will be expensive. But they are meant to be built to last. Hence why parts are dear.
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    miele really are that good :D
    parts are expensive but very rarely go wrong and you can get one generally with very long guarantees for free typically 5 or 10 years parts and labour (some cheaper models may charge extra for longer guarantees)
    ask a miele salesman to show you the coin test, they will try to scratch the machine with a coin or keys, the unit is enamelled rather than painted so will look good for years, a cheap machine looks rough very quickly
    also a good test to see how good a washing machine is - generally the heavier it is, the better it is. you will be surprised how light a cheap machine is compared to a good one
  • mak3m
    tri-sexual

seriously is the third party in tri washing machines

you are scaring me now :P