late forties looking for a comfortable ride.. Trek Fuel EX ?

whitevanman
whitevanman Posts: 11
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
Theres probably a joke in that title somewhere !
Anyway seriously now in late forties feel like something more comfortable to ride. Currently have a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc which is heavy and shows the bumps up but i do like the upright position. So i started thinking about a Trek Fuel ex8 going full suspension. Not looking to do trail centres but just a nice bike for general kinds of riding, a bike to enjoy but still being reasonable for speed and not too bouncy. Is this a good one to consider ? Another one i looked at online was a Ghost amr 5900 which looked good value. Online both bikes are described as all rounders.

Comments

• pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    I had a trek fuel ex 8 and yes it is a cracking bike. I now have a Lapierre Zesty and although very similar I slightly perfer it. You won't go wrong with either. Both excellent bikes.
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    Try before you buy, I thought my Fuel EX felt lethargic compared to other Full Sus bikes I've ridden.
    Guinness for strength
  • Zziplex what are the other full sus bikes ?
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    I'm early forties and started looking for something a little more comfortable/a little less hard work to ride.
    I recently swapped a carbon Epic for an EX9 and wished I did a long time ago.

Don't get me wrong, the Epic is an 'Epic' lightweight race bike, but an all day trail bike it's not.
    The Trek is so easy to ride and very flattering too, it's nice to be able to plough through regardless rather than being careful where you place the wheels.

I tested several bikes before I chose the EX9, I didn't want to go huge travel and the associated heaver weight after riding the Epic,
    but the Trek is barely heaver than the Epic, and rides with a lot more authority than a 120mm bike should.

As with all bike purchases I'd recommend a demo, but keep the Trek on your list until you've chosen, it's a cracking all rounder.
  • The Ghost looks good ....................... although so does the Trek in matt black ... tough choice both get good reviews. A nice light hardtail ? OR Giant Anthem ?
  • dp1
    dp1 Posts: 89
    The Trek has a comfortable upright position and feels quite plush also surprisingly fast i thought.
  • I'd say go with a longer travel trail bike. You can achieve the comfortable position by using spacers on the steerer tube to give a high front end. The extra travel will just add to the comfort, provided you aren't looking to climb at mach 10.

Something like the Zesty or the Fuel would fit the bill.
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    i love my anthem x4 for the reason that its comfortable.ie no bad back
  • ridin8ude
    ridin8ude Posts: 88
    If I hadn't wanted a Titus bike since at least Y2K - I would be going for the Canyon Nerve XC or AM - stonking deal for the kit you get.

Otherwise you could build up a pretty sweet Titus with the On-One deal.

I'm not quite 40 but want to spend less time on my hardtail and have some comfort of a full sus when out riding...
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I have an Ex8 and think it's brilliant. Comfortable enough for all day riding but you can still rag it pretty hard if the moment takes you.

Miles better bike than I am rider.
  • mbpage
    mbpage Posts: 8
    I'm in the same boat whitevanman. I prefer the balance and feel of the Zesty over the Trek. I'm also considering the Canyon Nerve XC9 which looks outstanding value (if only you could demo it) and the Ghost AMR Lector. Hope to try the Ghost tomorrow.
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    Zziplex wrote:
    Try before you buy, I thought my Fuel EX felt lethargic compared to other Full Sus bikes I've ridden.

It must have been setup worng or incorrectly sized. The Fuel EX with DRCV is the best pedalling full suss I have ever ridden, and I have ridden quite a lot of bikes.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I'm 48, and got an Anthem for the combination of comfort and road-bike like stretched out position as the shorter more upright bikes (e.g. Fuel) just felt 'wrong'. It's a great bike for XC and the suspension takes the sting out of my local chalk and rubble trails. It will also take on the more gravity-assisted riding if you are careful.... definitely a bike you should test ride.

But try as many bikes as you can. Try to get demos. Try to swap bikes with a mate, or even try to blag a ride off people you meet out and about (that's the only way you'll get to try out a Canyon as far as I can see). I used to think that all bikes were pretty similar, but that's way off the mark - and what's right for me may be hopeless for you.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    We sell the trek fuel Ex's at the shop i work at and i have had the Fuel Ex 9 on demo for a few days. Its been ridden up and down jacobs ladder a few times and most of the western side of the peak district. Ive donbe 160 miles on it.

Every man and his dog has one however they are a very capable and fast bike. Fast is the best way to describe it. It makes ground very quickly , enalbes you to pedal through the rough stuff without jarring and is very responsive to small bumps, but soaks up the big ones without you noticing. As an all round bike its massivley impressive going up and down.. For me though, it didnt light my world on fire. The commecal Meta im used to just wants to be ridden balls out at every opportunity. The trek is happy to ride flat out, or just cruise, when riding 'on the edge' with the Trek it felt responsive , capable and safe. Key word there is safe. It does the job and it does it well but you wont want to be boosting every lip and jump with as much charge and enthusiasm as some other bikes.

Pedal bob is abit of an issue due to the nature of the pivot design, but feedback from the suspension was fantastic.

Just my opinion from riding one
  • phantomx0_1
    phantomx0_1 Posts: 50
    Trek ex 8 at £2300 seems a big spend just for general rides and no trails? Save yourself money and by the ex 5 or even something cheaper than that!
  • whitevanman
    whitevanman Posts: 11
    So what are you saying ? i need to be dropping off mountains to enjoy it ! i dont think so. If you get pleasure out of something then its worth it . Why would i want a 5 if its heavier ? An 8 will be lighter and better for me to ride than a 5 and also its seems like a good all round bike !!!! I would have asked the question ' should i buy cheaper ' if that was the advice i needed .