Pads for carbon rims other than swisstops

mcrdave
mcrdave Posts: 501
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
Any one had experience of these from Ribble?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ROLBRBL200

I don't fancy paying £25 for swisstops if i don't have too.

Or if anyone has any other recommendations, I'm all ears.

cheers

Comments

• mcrdave
    Just spotted these as well. Ideally am looking for full shoes and pads for ease of changing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/S10-Racing-Brake- ... 43a63c652c

Is it worth the gamble or willl I get a full on buttock clencher when I grab an armful of these on a descent and nothing happens?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    If you're that worried about cost, you could probably use regular brake pads. Just don't use them on alloy rims also. Or any cork pad will do the job with carbon rims.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I got the blue Reynolds pads from pbk for £18. They're supposed to be the best available, don't overheat etc. Feel like shimano pads on alloy rims to me, that sort of stopping power, on my assaults.
  • mcrdave
    Ok so if they're new pads, they don't necessarily have to be carbon specific? If I used pads I already run on my ali rims I guess that will just get debris from the pads onto the rim and damage them?

I had carbon rims a few years ago and ran swisstops but sold them, want to give them another try but wondered if anyone did decent (cheap!) swisstop alternatives
  • mcrdave
    Nice one evil, will look at these also.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    AFAIK - Carbon-specific pads are made with compounds that are nicer to your carbon rims, eliminate heat better and improve braking performance in the wet. Regular pads are a bit more like sandpaper and will wear the carbon down.

If you're going to run carbon wheels, spend the extra money for some carbon pads, even cheap ones.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Pokerface wrote:
    AFAIK - Carbon-specific pads are made with compounds that are nicer to your carbon rims, eliminate heat better and improve braking performance in the wet. Regular pads are a bit more like sandpaper and will wear the carbon down.

If you're going to run carbon wheels, spend the extra money for some carbon pads, even cheap ones.

This - you've spent all that money on carbon wheels and now you want to scrimp on pads?! :roll:
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • mcrdave
    I know I know...

I'm on a tight budget, the wheels wernt expensive either.

Just wanted to get users experiences before blindly paying out.

I'm guessing no one has tried either the ribble pads or eBay ones as these are carbon specific and reasonably priced?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    If they're carbon specific, i.e. cork, then they should be fine. You probably are paying a bit of a premium for swissstop, but then I found koolstops to be better than cheap pads from halfords, so maybe there's something in it?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...