too many choices!

itom65
itom65 Posts: 5
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer some specific advice - I'm tired of reading my magazine about bikes so have decided it's time to buy - based on the following:

only been on a bike 30 ish times in the last 20 years! (and all in the last 3 or 4 years since my son was born)

now weigh 98 KGs (but a bit fit - had to give up running/jogging 2 years ago as developed back problems - not affected by cycling)

want to commute to work 8 mi each way (miss the running and fresh air etc - even when it rains!), short days out with wife and son (10 years) on road and tracks and through woods (have MTB at present - but as say, 30 or so in last 20 years!) - and I think I will love it and probably have the odd day or so out and about on my own - getting lost etc and maybe cycling up to 30 or 40 miles max

so, I've decided I (think) I want to buy:

Hybrid - not too thin wheels (speed is not my priority - what's 5 or so mins!) - or cyclo-cross (is that what is called a CX?) – just came across yesterday and now I’m confused between Hybrid and this – but think Hybrid

internal hub gears (low maintenance - and would I ever really need or use more than 8? - and I THINK when you change down or up, at standstill, it means you would be in the the 'new' gear immediately as you start off again - no need for 'movement' to shift the gear?) - is there a difference between hubs or do they all really work the same and are as reliable as each other?

hydraulic disk breaks

comfy flat handlebar - with ends

something I can ‘hose down’ when I return and it won’t rust / damage

budget - max £800 but ideally around £500 (actually my friend can get it posted free from USA and they are def a lot cheaper in the main! - if anyone knows a good US choice!!)

hope someone can help me narrow down - I'm going crazy with the amount of choice and the indecision it is causing me!

Comments

• Vivica
    Vivica Posts: 68
    Up until you mentioned you were interested in hub gearing i wasn't sure what to suggest, but if you're looking for something with a gear hub it might be worth looking at this - http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPETV ... mine-versa

I think if i were buying a new bike now i'd DEFINITELY go for a hub gear system, and disc brakes!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    If I'm doing 30-40 miles, I find drop bars, and the variety of positions they offer, to be more comfortable, but I guess it comes down to choice.

I was going to suggest the Genesis Croix de Fer, but the On One looks nice - I think it's been recommended on here before, too.

Might be worth checking ebay for the price point you're looking at as well.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    The Pompetamine above is a good bet - and if you're after the Alfine hub gear, that's about as cheap as it's gonna get! Or this one (http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPALF/on-one-pompetamine-alfine) for the flat bars and hydraulic brakes.

If you want to bring the budget down a bit, and don't mind getting your hands a bit mucky, you can buy a singlespeed (like a Pompino (http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPMPRS/on-one-pompino-road-sport)) for example, and fit it with a Sturmey Archer hub, available on the 'bay. They're cheap, reliable, plentiful and parts are freely available. You could comfortably build one up for £550, i'd say, and it'll last you many many thousands of miles.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Cannondale bad boy 8 fits your bill exactly, if they still make it, Costly but good.

I have a Cannondale Street Ultra that is much the same but more load lugger than quick commuter. Discontinued now but has the discs & alfine 8 and is bombproof and near as dammit maintenence free.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Most of what you are asking has been answered a thousand times over in previous threads. Keep going back through this forum and read and you will learn an awful lot.

What you think you want in a bike is pretty much exactly what I thought I wanted in a bike when I took up cycle commuting just over a year ago, yet, several bikes down the line, I now own a simple, drop-bar single speed and a lovely, steel-framed road bike (my hybrid lasted about four weeks before I was frustrated with it).

While you are getting back into cycling keep it simple. Buy roughly what you think you want, but don’t spend more than £400 because chances are you will want something entirely different in two months time should you get into it.

Main thing is get riding and then once you are hooked, spend your money on a nice bike.
  • itom65
    why thank you everyone - can't believe got those replies in such a short time

I'm actually really excited, but as I said after months (6 ish) reading about it I really want to get on and, as Jonny_Trousers suggests, just do it

I ruled out a single speed mainly due to inexperience on a bike - and fitness - and when I return home to Plymouth it can get a bit hilly (currently working abroad for another 14 or so months) - but I'll certainly take all your points into consideration and look into all your suggestions thank you very, very much
  • itom65
    Well, thanks again for all your comments – I’ve had a good look around and I've been commuting ever since my original post in the hope that I can identify more specifically what I think I'm after - I'm not keen on spending 300-400 on something then wanting/needing to upgrade later - i'd rather try and get what I want right from the outset - so I've been experimenting.

First used my old 'supermarket 18-speed MTB' with a slight problem - gears stuck mid-range - so a single speed in effect! - bit hilly here so that only lasted 2 days as i was completely exhausted and had to walk up 2 hills both times, but then used my wife's 'similar bike' (supermarket, cheap, only difference a female version - I'm not proud! - but the 18 gears worked) and really loved it so far - even enjoyed going 'different routes' and getting completely lost on the outskirts of Brussels - 40 min commute even took me 1hr 20mins once!. (note to self - maybe look into a Garmin!). Even got to use/try out my friend's wife's 'newer' hybrid (2 years old) and got on great with it - and even got to try a 'stranger's' internal hub gear hybrid at work - if you dont' ask!

Anyway, based on my original post and my new-found (albiet short) experience I've decided that I'm after the following:

Hybrid - not too thin wheels (speed is not my priority - what's 5 or so mins!)

11 speed Alfine internal hub gear

hydraulic disk breaks

flat bar - with ends – or funny looking ‘oval’ shapes!

frame - ‘some’ suspension for off-road (track, trail through woods etc), and able to attach mud-guards and rear rack for panniers

I’ll keep at it – was looking at this http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPALF ... e-11-speed but quite expensive for me (although I can currently get it VAT-free) – and it doesn’t have that ‘some suspension’ I’m after.

Am I being too picky? It will be used mostly for communing, with some ‘cobbles’ en route! But also for off-road – tracks and through trail in woods etc.
  • Deezer-D
    Deezer-D Posts: 99
    Cannondale bad boy 8 fits your bill exactly, if they still make it, Costly but good.

I have a Cannondale Street Ultra that is much the same but more load lugger than quick commuter. Discontinued now but has the discs & alfine 8 and is bombproof and near as dammit maintenence free.

I've a Cannondale Bad Boy 8 Solo in white that will be up for sale soon as I'm currently building a Hardtail
  • Conjoy
    Conjoy Posts: 18
    If you want the 10 speed Alfine Hub then you have to expect to pay some serious money - its a very expensive piece of kit, and no one is going to put it on a cheap bike (not that you'd be able to make a cheap bike with the specs you are looking for). Theres also a bit of a wait to get your hands on a bike that has one.

I looked extensively with a very similar list of specs except for the suspension.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=
    My suggestion is you look again at the Pompetamine. I didn't choose it because of the specifics of my cycle to work scheme and ended-up with the Charge Mixer. But the guys at the On-One showroom I spoke to were very knowledgeable and helpful.

Both the Mixer and Pompetamine are solid steel frames, so are perfectly fine on basic off-road terrain and are ideal for commuting. My suggestion is that you get one of these, and use a MTB for when its appropriate. The Charge Mixer is a brilliant bike - pretty much perfect for commuting.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'd say you don't need suspension for general tracks, if you want to do proper mountain biking then you need a mountain bike.

Also, Avid BB5 and BB7s are meant to be very good (cable discs), so you might not 'need' hydraulic brakes.

I've got an MTB and a road bike, and drop bars are nothing to be scared of, after a few minutes you get used to them and I have no trouble switching between road drops and the MTBs riser bars.

For what you describe I'd get something like a Voodoo Limba. But it doesn't have the hub gears you want.

The Pompetemine that's been linked to looks spot on.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    My suggestion is to buy a used Carrera Subway 8 off ebay, it will set you backaround £150, and they're in decent supply.

Take it to the bike shop for a check-up when you're done.

Ride it for a few months, then report back here for more buying advice....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My local bike shops stocks Halcyon bikes, they do something that sounds like it would suite you, hub gears and cable hub brakes, looks quite sporty, can't find it on their webby though!
    http://www.halcyonbikes.com

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Charge Mixer or Pompetemine.

The Pomp wasn't available when I was buying so got the Mixer. No regrets, but if I was buying again, I'd lean towards the Pomp.

Having said that, I'd put some slicks on your MTB and give that a go first. You might find commuting by bike isn't for you, in which case, you've not wasted your dosh.

If you're still riding your MTB is 2/3 months, then get yourself a decent commuter bike.
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Charge Mixer or Pompetemine.

The Pomp wasn't available when I was buying so got the Mixer. No regrets, but if I was buying again, I'd lean towards the Pomp.

Having said that, I'd put some slicks on your MTB and give that a go first. You might find commuting by bike isn't for you, in which case, you've not wasted your dosh.

If you're still riding your MTB is 2/3 months, then get yourself a decent commuter bike.
  • mush1976
    mush1976 Posts: 54
    Just picked up a Ridgeback Flight 04.

Hydraulic disc brakes, alfine hub, etc.

Well pleased with it.

Especially with what I paid for it :wink:
  • itom65
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kon ... e-ec021779

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec020197

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... 3god3y5ipw

Just been spending some time learning a bit more - however can anyone testify to 'belt drive' - with a chain I'm sure I could fix a broken link - but with this looks like I'd be pretty much left high and dry.

Still getting to work on my wife's bike!