Rockshox Reba Rebound adjuster

shoddy
shoddy Posts: 63
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
Just fitted some Rebas i picked up on ebay. The rebound adjuster on the bottom of the fork leg (red knob) seems to have lost its clicks (i checked a brand new bike in bike shop). Is this a known problem?
Do i have to strip and service the forks or is there a quick fix?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They don'y usually have clicks! What exact model and year is it?
  • shoddy
    Its a Reba SL 2009.
    I tried a Boardman in the shop and could feel the different steps (maybe not clicks exactly) which would help you to pick a setting i.e. 3 from fully 'fast' rebound.
    Maybe that was a different model RS fork. I have to admit i wasnt paying that much attention.
    Thanks for the quick reply btw.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nah, no clicks on that model I am afraid, unless it is faulty. It is an none indexed adjuster with two full turns from very fast to very slow.
  • shoddy
    ok thanks for your help.
    While on topic, i have set the upper and lower air chambers by inflating to the pressure listed on the table supplied for my weight. I will adjust by measuring sag as soon as i get the chance.
    I did notice that when i pull the front wheel up (say riding up a kerb) the fork extension feels a little fast. Can i tune this out by increasing pressure in the lower chamber? or is there a better method?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a read of the Dual air info in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    shoddy wrote:
    ok thanks for your help.
    While on topic, i have set the upper and lower air chambers by inflating to the pressure listed on the table supplied for my weight. I will adjust by measuring sag as soon as i get the chance.
    I did notice that when i pull the front wheel up (say riding up a kerb) the fork extension feels a little fast. Can i tune this out by increasing pressure in the lower chamber? or is there a better method?

The pressures on the chart are a little bit too high for me. I run approx 15% less and this gives me 90% travel on most rides.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • shoddy
    I just set up the sag.
    One more question (for now!), is there a minimum pressure. Im only 55Kg so i have had to reduce the pressures to around 50 p.s.i. The lowest setting on the chart is 70 p.s.i. i think.
    Am i ok running with this low a pressure or is there a potential for damage to occur?

Thanks for your help guys....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    forget the chart. just set it to the sag you want.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You can get similar results by setting the -ive at say 80psi and the +ive at say 75-70psi, You'd just get a slightly more progressive spring than at your current settings.

I too find the chart settings a little high, unless I'm running the -ive higher than the +ive

I'm supposed to run at about 125-130, but I run at about 110.

I also can confirm that there is no indexing on the rebound, but the cap is easily removed, so make sure it pushed on.