Recommended Shorts?

-steves-
-steves- Posts: 99
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
I use some cheapy padded shorts at the moment and don't think they are up to longer rides which I am starting to do.

i honestly don't want to spend a fortune as I am only in this for fun and fitness and weight loss. I have no current intention to race or join a club or anything so don't care what brand is being shown, just as long as they are good and do the job they are meant to.

I have read through other posts and it seems bib shorts highly praised but these are retailing £80 upwards to over £100. For me thats just way too much. What sort of money should I be looking at spending for a decent pair of shorts and what advantage would bib shorts give me over standard shorts, is it worth swapping over before I start spending even more money on this?

If anyone can recommend what shorts or bib shorts to get then I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks
Steve

Comments

• My wife picked up some B-Twin shorts for me at about £12 a pair... they are comfy and very much up to the task of long distance!

Even the £15ers I had from Halford as my first pair got me though over 2000 miles in their lifetime...

The material and shape of the pad is more important than brand imo. The pad in my £50 winter tights are less comfortable that the cheapo pads!

Moral of the story, its hit and miss.. have a look at the usual suspects like wiggle or chain reaction, and order some that you like the look of!! Also generally lots of review on those sites
    exercise.png
  • gareth1234
    gareth1234 Posts: 107
    sportsdirect.com I have some of their cycling shorts that i use for commuting, (they were cheap so I bought loads to save on washing my others ALL the time)
    Karrimor at £7 a pair, they have been fantastic in the 3 months I've used them, very comfy and no pad rub
  • dhb kit on wiggle works for me.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    You didn't specify a budget but these http://www.shuttvr.com/shop/productdetail/Shutt-Standard-Bib-Shorts/ always seems to get good reviews and if you don't fancy the bibs they do waist shorts for £10 less.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • -steves-
    -steves- Posts: 99
    You didn't specify a budget but these http://www.shuttvr.com/shop/productdetail/Shutt-Standard-Bib-Shorts/ always seems to get good reviews and if you don't fancy the bibs they do waist shorts for £10 less.

This is a brand which keeps popping up and I have looked at. The issue I have with these, is why do they do a £39 pair (which I have no problem investing in if they are any good) but they also do a £100 (ish) pair. Whats the difference and does it really protect you better and it is worth the money?

Like many things I am starting to find in cycling, there are varying level of cost but its not always clear what the differences are and what level you tend to be at to warrent something. I run a sub £400 bike, so spending over £100 on shorts unless its critical just seems a bit steep at the moment :lol: I dont mind a decent £50 investment if its going to help me on 50+ mile rides out and make the whole thing more comfortable and enjoyable :D
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    I have these Altura Progel Shorts and find them just as comfortable upto 40 miles as my ShuttVr probibs, which are nearly twice the price!!
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... Googlebase
  • Stu07
    Stu07 Posts: 48
    I bought some Shutt VR standard bib shorts yesterday. With the 10% discount you get when you join the club, it equates to £38.

http://www.shuttvr.com/shop/productdetail/Shutt-Standard-Bib-Shorts/

I read the reviews on the forum and most people recommend them over dhb as being better quality and more durable.

Not yet received them but if you still havent made your mind up by the time i road test them, i'll report back.
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Stu07 wrote:
    I bought some Shutt VR standard bib shorts yesterday. With the 10% discount you get when you join the club, it equates to £38.

http://www.shuttvr.com/shop/productdetail/Shutt-Standard-Bib-Shorts/

I read the reviews on the forum and most people recommend them over dhb as being better quality and more durable.

Not yet received them but if you still havent made your mind up by the time i road test them, i'll report back.

use tdf15 for 15%
  • Stu07
    Stu07 Posts: 48
    antlaff, that code expired. New code is club10

Its only 10% and you I think you have to become a member first.[/quote]
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    These are good, inexpensive bibs too: http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... =7&ID=1428

I've got 3 pairs :wink:
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    +1 for the Shutt VR shorts - the ordinary style ones are £30 and well worth it. I used them on a 4 day trip from Doncaster to Kent and they were great!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    edited April 2011
    I have the Shutt VR Standard Bibs.

Brilliant!

I've done 100 miles in a day in them with no problems at all (just slap on the Udderly Smooth!)

I think the extra cost is for the coolmax bit, like you, I don;t see the point of paying more

I'll definatly get another pair, probably the Standard Shorts.

Bibs are best on long rides, but there won't be much wrong with the standard shorts either, if the bibs are anything to go by
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    You really can't go wrong with Decathalon. I have some of their gel pad shorts and they are the most comfortable out of all of my shorts. They are my first choice for a long ride.

Approx £45 in short or bib.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    Shutt bib shorts currently the free gift with subscription to Cycling Active.
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    I have the Shutt VR Standard Bibs.

Brilliant!

I've done 100 miles in a day in them with no problems at all (just slap on the Udderly Smooth!)

I think the extra cost is for the coolmax bit, like you, I don;t see the point of paying more

I'll definatly get another pair, probably the Standard Shorts.

Bibs are best on long rides, but there won't be much wrong with the standard shorts either, if the bibs are anything to go by

I agree that the standard Shutt Bibs are great value - I've got three pairs and love 'em. However I was accidentally sent a pair of the standard (non-bib) shorts by Shutt and was surprised to see that the pad was completely different - it was a non shaped blob of foam.

Another good place for cheap bib shorts is Decathlon - their £40 quid shorts have a decent pad.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I'll bare in mind your comment on the Std shorts

Decathlon are well liked, dhb from Wiggle are popular too
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • nomadicbry
    nomadicbry Posts: 223
    Condor in London are doing great shorts for £15 I've bought a few pairs and very happy with them. For the money they're an absolute steal
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • I bought a pair of Nalini Cicos 3 after reading a positive review in the 'Bikes and Gear' section of Bike Radar and I haven't been disappointed.I also have a pair of the Karrimors and can assure you that the Nalinis are better all round.

The best price I could find was £35+p&p here - http://www.velodromeshop.org.uk/index.php?p=product&id=1200
  • I cant believe someone recommended some Karrimor from Sport Direct. As far as I can tell SD bought out the rights to the name and sell cheapo stuff rebranded. Utter cheap duff imo compared to competitors.

DHB is good but dearer nowadays, Santini is great - especially when on special. Generally look for bargains from Endura, Santini, etc.

A good pair of shorts is one of life's/ cycling's luxuries that is truly worth it!
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    I've been eyeing up the Radioshack bibs from Evans fro a while. Finally ordered them and will see how they are, but out of the 25 reviews it has, the majority are quite positive.

Not too fond of the theme, but hay, will see what they look like in person and if they are really comfy I will keep them.
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    Valy wrote:
    I've been eyeing up the Radioshack bibs from Evans fro a while. Finally ordered them and will see how they are, but out of the 25 reviews it has, the majority are quite positive.

Not too fond of the theme, but hay, will see what they look like in person and if they are really comfy I will keep them.

Best deals on past season RS stuff are always to be had from All Terrain Cycles. Usually £29 for jersey or bib shorts by Bontrager. I've got both and they are superb.
    Coupla Road Bikes