Cycle to work scheme

hd264
hd264 Posts: 21
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Just been through the process of the cycle to work scheme and I was wondering if other people have also had problems with their LBS!

Picking out a bike was fine as I knew what I wanted (Giant Defy 2) and waited (im)patiently for the voucher to arrive. Then on tuesday I went on the Cyclescheme website and found out the voucher was in the post. So I ring up the LBS and ask them to start getting the bike ready for me to collect as soon as I get the voucher. The LBS say that they have none in my size so will need to order one in but won't do it until I physically show them the voucher! I'm a bit annoyed but I guess that's fair enough.

So I get the voucher today and go to the LBS to show it to them so they can order my bike but they want to take my voucher from me before ordering in the bike despite the fact that it says this on the voucher:

"When you redeem your certificate be sure the bike shop accurately lists the equipment you are taking away in the space provided on the voucher; by signing the certificate you are confirming receipt of these goods.

Finally, the certificate must not be given to the bike shop unless exchanged for the bike package."

I showed this to the guy from the LBS but he wouldn't budge and accused me of not trusting him! :?

So I give in and hand him the voucher. Then 2min down the road I change my mind cos I though it too risky and so go back to get it back. The guy tells me that he's posted it already! Give me some credit!! :evil: I had literally just got to the end of the road before turning back. How am I meant to trust this guy if he lies to my face! :shock: Eventually he produces it and hands it back and he says the only other way is to pay a £50 deposit! So in the end that's what i settled with as the worst thing that could happen is lose £50 and not £800! :roll:

Totally lost confidence in my LBS.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Comments

• robdaykin
    robdaykin Posts: 102
    I can see from his perspective that he wants to get the money as quickly as possible, with minimum time from ordering the bike to being paid by cyclescheme, and if they are slow to pay out on vouchers, then perhaps he could have put things better. That said, it sounds like he has been less than customer focussed, and I think I'd have taken the voucher elsewhere when he refused to place the order, after all he has basically told you he doesn't trust you.
  • I went to two shops one local to work and one local to home 20miles apart.
    both where good and have offered to order bike in when the scheme has be accepted to me.
    I have not taken the shop up of my choice yet even thought i know it will be posted on the 16th May, was agreed on the 13th April so long to wait.
    will pop in the weekend before it gets posted out
    Not that bad but bad enough for me
    Route1.jpg
  • tmsbird
    tmsbird Posts: 17
    My very excellent local shop (Don Skene, Cardiff). Let me buy the bike with a credit card then when the voucher came in they refunded my card. Sorted
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    My LBS (Holloway Cycles) just got me to put a £100 refundable deposit on my credit card as security and ordered the bike in for me to have a spin on and check out that it really was the one I wanted.

Refunded on production of the voucher when I turned up to take it away.

Doesn't sound like your LBS is very customer focused to be honest.
  • Makker
    Makker Posts: 8
    I was surprised to be charged £60 as an "admin fee" by Condor for buying my new bike from cyclescheme. I haven't heard of that before. They had me by the goolies though, cause i've had my heart set on one of their bikes for a year. And it still works out as a very good deal.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm sure that is outside the terms of the scheme, I would suggest they pay it back or you'll take it to cyclescheme......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Last year the bike shop i used charged me a refundable deposit of my choice, no problem as i just used it to by extra gear when i picked the bike up, they had the bike ready within a few days of me ringing up telling them i had my voucher. This year the bike shop i used charged me no deposit and again had the bike ready within a few days of me ring up to tell them i had my voucher. In both instances the first time the LBS saw the voucher was when i picked the bike up.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i got charged when i bought my Kona Stinky i think it was about £90 something about an "administration fee"
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • tcornish
    tcornish Posts: 6
    I'm looking to get a bike under my employer's cycle to work scheme - was thinking of spending £500 MAX - any reccommendations?

Thanks!
    PR person & nervous cyclist.
  • Makker
    Makker Posts: 8
    I'm sure that is outside the terms of the scheme, I would suggest they pay it back or you'll take it to cyclescheme......

Simon

Looks like it's legit...

A very small selection of Cyclescheme’s partner
    bike shops may wish to add an administration
    fee to quotes for custom bikes.
    This is because the profit margins on custom
    bikes, built in the UK, are lower than those
    available on standard, mass-produced bikes.
    The shop also has much more administration
    when building a custom bike as parts have
    to be ordered in advance and in-house builds
    coordinated amongst other daily work.
    The administration fee is typically no more than
    10 to 12% and is ONLY applicable to custom
    bikes.
    It is worth noting that the savings from
    the scheme are also applied to reduce this
    administration fee to well below 10%.

http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/files/faq.pdf
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Most places will charge an extra 10% if you want to buy a sale bike too.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    I can't remember the exact figures but I seem to remember that cyclescheme charge the retailer a fee (10% rings a bell) to provide this service.

I haven't dealt with the paperwork side of things as one of my colleagues has more time for that side of it. One thing I do know is we do not offer sale bikes on the scheme as we end up making a loss.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Ribble charges a flat fee of £65 on top of the price of the bike (not deposit) if you go through Cyclescheme and they expect you to post the voucher to them before receipt of the goods. In fact I think I had paid the 1st month instalment for the bike before I had even received it!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.