Spannering on a sunny afternoon...

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited April 2011 in The Crudcatcher
Been a great couple of days for spannering and riding! Garden is a tip:

workgarden1.jpg

But nice result ;-)

zx9-2.jpg

Just fitted some new SRAM X9 ten speed, 2x10. Now to test it!

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Best way to spend the afternoon, in fact it's what I was upto earlier :wink:

206453_10150160412902651_504117650_7076283_4852421_n.jpg
  • supersonic
    Exactly the same toolbox as mine lol (though was in the shed).

And your shed looks in better condition than mine, recent storms battered it!
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Best way to spend the afternoon, in fact it's what I was upto earlier :wink:

206453_10150160412902651_504117650_7076283_4852421_n.jpg

Hmmmm BBQ and bike building 8)
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    supersonic wrote:
    Exactly the same toolbox as mine lol (though was in the shed).

And your shed looks in better condition than mine, recent storms battered it!

yeh but you've got special astro turf for special people
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    are you testing that for your job or have you gone mad and gone sram?

also, is your garden astro turfed?
  • supersonic
    Yeah, got some stuff to test for WMB.

We moved in in September last year, it was astroturfed then lol. We are ripping it up and paving it.
  • montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    supersonic wrote:
    Been a great couple of days for spannering and riding! Garden is a tip:

workgarden1.jpg

But nice result ;-)

zx9-2.jpg

Just fitted some new SRAM X9 ten speed, 2x10. Now to test it!

I think you need to fix that fence
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    Thats awesome SS :shock:
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    you still have open bar-ends SS... tch tch.... or are they the smallest bar plugs evar? :lol:
  • supersonic
    Well I am not going to tell you my 1st impressions, you will have to buy the mag for that ;-). One thing though is that the cable pulls are now different...

Am thinking about putting the Tora 318 back on, doesn't ramp up half as quick as the Reba no matter what I do with the latter.
  • sheepsteeth
    supersonic wrote:
    Well I am not going to tell you my 1st impressions, you will have to buy the mag for that ;-). One thing though is that the cable pulls are now different...

is sram 10 speed no longer 1:1?
  • supersonic
    Doesn't appear to be: both 9 and 10 are listed as 'exact actuation', but they don't want to work with each other.

Same with Shimano, is no longer exactly 2:1.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    supersonic wrote:
    Doesn't appear to be: both 9 and 10 are listed as 'exact actuation', but they don't want to work with each other.

Same with Shimano, is no longer exactly 2:1.

so rear mech 10 does not work with a 9 shift? (Sram)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    Going to find out for definite this weekend, but my usually reliable sources say no. But we will see ;-)
  • nicklouse
    Fairly sure the Sram 10spd works across road and MTB with the 3mm steps between the cogs. 'exact actuation

while the 1:1 is not 3mm steps.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • sheepsteeth
    its the same difference though isnt it?

either EA or 1:1 means the cable in the shifter moves the same amount as the cable in the mech,

it makes sense that the shifts will be a diferent distance if you are squeezing an extra cog into the same space on a freehub so i dont see why 10 sp sram would work with 9 sp sram
  • supersonic
    It is odd that SRAM list EA and 1:1 as two different technologies, then cross reference them. The figures I have is that the cable pull ratio and mech geometry begins to change as you move to the lower gears with 1:1, so is not truely 1:1, while EA is. Hence they go out of whack by a if you use 10 speed mechs on 9 speed shifters and vice versa.

Will test and asee though.
  • sheepsteeth
    is the 10 speed cassette the same width as the 9 speed cassette?
  • sheepsteeth
    i would imagine the reason for 2 different descriptions (EA and 1;1) of what is essentially the same principle (ie, the cable moving the same amount in the mech as in the shifter) is to stop people thinking they can interchange between 9 and 10 speed components.
  • nicklouse
    supersonic wrote:
    It is odd that SRAM list EA and 1:1 as two different technologies, then cross reference them. The figures I have is that the cable pull ratio and mech geometry begins to change as you move to the lower gears with 1:1, so is not truely 1:1, while EA is. Hence they go out of whack by a if you use 10 speed mechs on 9 speed shifters and vice versa.

Will test and asee though.

that is my understanding 1:1 is not constant spacing while EA is.
  • sheepsteeth
    that spacing is going to be different between 9 and 10 speed isnt it?

edit, excuse my stupidity, i was thinking about shifters vs number of rear gears as opposed to shifters vs mechs.