rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/of ... sday11.htm

Looks like a couple of bargains...

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Their Pet Wipes are also on special offer : " Removes dirt, loose hair and odours". Just the think if you commute and don't have a shower at work.
  • richrock
    richrock Posts: 77
    I was going to suggest the Scented Shrubs if it's an open plan or you have your own desk :lol:
  • dave27
    dave27 Posts: 35
    Has anyone tried the track pump?

Need a new one, not sure if it is too cheap!
  • dave27
    dave27 Posts: 35

• rodgers73
    Looks very similar to a track pump Tesco do at the same proce - probably made in the same Chinese factory!

I'm heading down there for a couple of jerseys.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Dave27 wrote:

Its fine, but in the cold weather the pump tubing became brittle and snapped. Its now very short!
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    The 4 minute steaks at £2.99 per pack seem excellent value. Probably more meat on a butcher's pencil.

Might give the socks a look. Get me ankles tanned. 8)

and nobody can see where I bought them from
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Every single piece of cycle clothing I have bought from Aldi has ended up in the bin.

The End
  • rodgers73
    Is that because you bought it all over 10 years ago??
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Every single piece of cycle clothing I have bought from Aldi has ended up in the bin.
    The End

LOL. What is the saying... buy cheap, buy twice?

But £15 for a Soft Shell... how bad can it be? :)
    Simon
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    That was actually a lie, I still have a LS jersey hanging in the wardrobe.

I have shamefully bought

Heart rate monitor - just didn't work, the readings were all over the place, generally about 40 bpm over what it was in reality. I persevered a little but gave up in the end. I meant to take it back for a refund but never went back to Aldi so it went in the bin.

Bib tights - the pad was 5hit, the fit was just weird, after a few rides they went in the bin.

LS jersey - it's ok I suppose, the fit is awful, the back pockets are hard to use and things can fall out. It gets used as a last resort when everything else in in the wash.

Definitely a case of

You get what you pay for
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    the jerseys are a funny shape, very big in the chest, the gloves are rubbish

but the socks are good and the shorts are good for commuting or mountain bike baggy short liners
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I could get a gel saddle cover for my Brookes.......... :? :wink::)
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I think it isn't bad - the softshells are great. The jerseys fine for the commute but are too long for me so the back pockets are too low (but I don't use them on the commute anyway). But I've worn them for 10,000 miles and they are still OK. Can't fault the socks, I tried the bibs once and they were very wierdly shaped so I took them back and the fingerless gloves are fine (except some of the little grippy lozenges on the palms fall off!).

Basically, there is better looking stuff out there but it does the job. So definitely a case of you get more than what you pay for.

Not tried the computers but I do have a Lidl wireless one with HRM that, aside from unsealed buttons, has turned out far better in functionality and reliability to a VDO I bought for nearly twice the price. Might have been unlucky with the VDO but the Lidl computer is excellent.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ScottieR3
    ScottieR3 Posts: 207
    I bought their base layer about 3 years ago and its the best base layer ive owned, wicks away sweat brilliantly. I own various specialized, dhb etc etc but the crane one is superb. I just wish they did a long sleeve version for the winter.

Also have one of their running jackets which i use for mtb'ing and its superb, all the zips work with no snags.

Track pump i bought lasted one pump upto 100psi and blew apart!! Things like that i believe in paying the right money for.
    RR/Cross/Commuter: kinesis pro6
    Mtb: On One 456
  • I bought a jacket from Aldi in October 2004 and have done over 5000 miles in it. It's the best value £8 I've ever spent. The zip toggles have broken in the last 2 years but other than that it is fine.

About two years ago I saw another bloke riding the same jacket so some of the gear is very durable.

Last year I bought a red jacket like the soft shell on the linked webpage as its thinner than my 2004 mega bargain. Very good quality.

Some of the tops that I've bought are a bit on the short side and can ride up my back a bit.

I've also had a pair of the gloves for a couple of years and the ultra light jacket is very good.

The non-clothing is less commendable though. The helmet lasted 5 years but the bike computer came flying off its mount after a few miles and the foot (not track) pump was rubbish.

Maybe the quality varies from year to year but I always check out what they've got.

I also bought ski gear there years ago and it was very very good value. I'd bought £40 gloves (tog 24) for the previous two trips and neither pair lasted a week. I've been using the same £5 pair for last five trips and they are like new. The ski suit (salopettes and jacket) and well-featured and very durable.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    I have had one of they jacket for 2-3 years with no problems at all and will be looking to get one more from them, also had the socks too and would get more if I needed any.
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    Dave27 wrote:

Yep - I tried one from Lidl and have one of these now - absolutely brilliant. They also give you a 2 year guarantee I think, although it is a pain claiming off them.

But for a fiver - excellent value.

I have some of their winter gloves that are ace - think I will be getting some summer gloves from them and maybe a seatbag.

Thanks for the post OP
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    That was actually a lie, I still have a LS jersey hanging in the wardrobe.

I have shamefully bought

Heart rate monitor - just didn't work, the readings were all over the place, generally about 40 bpm over what it was in reality. I persevered a little but gave up in the end. I meant to take it back for a refund but never went back to Aldi so it went in the bin.

Bib tights - the pad was 5hit, the fit was just weird, after a few rides they went in the bin.

LS jersey - it's ok I suppose, the fit is awful, the back pockets are hard to use and things can fall out. It gets used as a last resort when everything else in in the wash.

Definitely a case of

You get what you pay for

No - more like a case of - "I can't be bothered to take it back"

Surely??
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Great stuff for the price, hhmmm mostly. Picked up a few of the winter bits.

Good stuff;
    Leg warmers
    Rain jacket
    Winter jacket
    Winter trousers (LUDICROUSLY SEXY)
    Gloves

The winter jersey was OK but the material meant that items in pockets would bounce a lot when I was dancing a la pedals. This looked and felt bloody stupid.

The tights were well tights, used them when it was -10c and they helped. Also got a compression top but the stench after using it put me off!

I'll be back there on Thursday to have a mooch and see what's good. Cheers for the post.
  • yeachan153
    yeachan153 Posts: 401
    Any idea how much psi the footpump does with previous years experience?
  • rodgers73
    Dmak wrote:
    Great stuff for the price, hhmmm mostly. Picked up a few of the winter bits.

Good stuff;
    Leg warmers
    Rain jacket
    Winter jacket
    Winter trousers (LUDICROUSLY SEXY)
    Gloves

The winter jersey was OK but the material meant that items in pockets would bounce a lot when I was dancing a la pedals. This looked and felt bloody stupid.

The tights were well tights, used them when it was -10c and they helped. Also got a compression top but the stench after using it put me off!

I'll be back there on Thursday to have a mooch and see what's good. Cheers for the post.

+1 on the tights. Bought two pairs and they've been great this winter!