Headset Size

sparrie
sparrie Posts: 8
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi folks,

I am slightly confused about buying a headset for a frame I have. I have been gifted an old Barracuda downhill frame and the head tube is a smaller diamater to that of modern head tubes. What type of headset (or size) do I need for this or do all headsets fit these types of head tube.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the internal diameter of the head tube?

and Pics or links to the spec of the bike ETC...
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sparrie
    I will check the internal diameter when I get home tonight. I can't find specs for the frame anywhere, no idea what to search. It looks similar to an Orange Patriot frame set up and has a box swing arm, but not as good if you know what I mean
  • nicklouse
    all the measurement can be found on Parktools if you want to look and get info before you start measuring.

but I would expect it to be a standard 1 1/8th external headset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    It's mostlikly a 1.1/8" headset but it is possible for it to be a 1". 1" is rare in mountain bikes but I could imagine it being possible on an older downhill frame.
  • nicklouse
    BikeSwan wrote:
    I could imagine it being possible on an older downhill frame.

I could not.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Very possibly a 1" threaded steerer if it's this sort of Barracuda
    56187621.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Although that one obviously doesn't have a box section swingarm.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sparrie
    Cheers folks. I have managed to get it sorted. It has a 34mm inside diameter. I went to Halfords to check the FSA headsets and right enough it fits. So I left Halfords and bought one online and saved £8

Gary