Bar & Stem combo

apcmtb
apcmtb Posts: 53
edited April 2011 in MTB buying advice
So i'm looking at upgrading bit by bit the parts that 'don't fit' on my recently purchased GT. First to go is the old bar and stem.

My riding is mainly XC and I'd like to go back (as far as possible) to something similar to my previous set ups which included a high rise bar.

My question is to those in the know, what's considered a good combo as far as bar and stems go XC wise.

Any help is much appreciated as always
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    First step is what is wrong with the current set up. Then work from there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • apcmtb
    Thanks, the whole front end needs to come up about an inch at least, figured with a different/steeper angle on the stem and Hi rise bars this could be achieved
  • BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    In regards to the bars. I personally like Race Face, and due to their current financial issues you can find great bars for not a lot of money on sites like Chain Reaction. I would also take a look at Easton as they have a lot of great bars that start of reatively cheap. Again Chain Reaction is a great place to start.

I'd stay away from Ritchey as I beleive they are overpriced for what they are, and offer no performace advantages for the price (sorry to any Ritchey fans out there).

Any of these combos will work sufficiantly and will keep you happy on the trail. Dont pay too much attention to weight as you could not eat a few cornflakes in the morning to ofset the differnce in weight between these bars. I'd go for the one with the right rise / length and looks the best if i where you. If it where me i'd get the Thomson X4 stem with the Race Face Turbine bar.

I would recomend:

Bar:

Easton EA50 Riser
    Easton EA70 Riser
    Easton EC70 Riser (C for Carbon)
    Race Face Turbine Riser
    Race Face Evolve Riser

Stem:

Thomson X4
    Easton EA50
    Easton EA70
    Race Face Turbine
    Race Face Evolve
  • apcmtb
    Many Thanks Bikeswan, great post and certainly gives me plenty to research. I see what you are saying re the weight :D

Much appreciated
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look at Exotic stuff. Light, well made and relatively cheap. Alloy or Scandium (which before any pedantic ***hole chips in, is an alloy I know).
    Carbon stuff as well but.....

http://www.carboncycles.co.uk/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • apcmtb
    cooldad wrote:
    Have a look at Exotic stuff. Light, well made and relatively cheap. Alloy or Scandium (which before any pedantic ***hole chips in, is an alloy I know).
    Carbon stuff as well but.....

http://www.carboncycles.co.uk/

Thanks, just had a look at the site, prices seem excellent. Have you first hand experience here?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I pay attention to weight ;-). Saving here and there does add up in the long run, and why lug around excess fat? Plenty of light, strong and cheap kit out there. Like this:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&c=48&p=610&

124g for the 80mm, and is what I use on my Zaskar, superb piece of kit.

They also do a scandium high riser at a good price (I have one too, though the 620mm):

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=69&p=632&

Maybe worth paying a bit more for a carbon bar, as tend to be lighter and better at absorbing trail buzz.
  • apcmtb
    supersonic wrote:
    Beaten to it!
    :D:D

Thanks, I think between the pair of you, you have just found my new bar and stem combo. At those prices, it would be wrong not to.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    supersonic wrote:
    I pay attention to weight ;-). Saving here and there does add up in the long run, and why lug around excess fat? Plenty of light, strong and cheap kit out there. Like this:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&c=48&p=610&

124g for the 80mm, and is what I use on my Zaskar, superb piece of kit.

They also do a scandium high riser at a good price (I have one too, though the 620mm):

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=69&p=632&

Maybe worth paying a bit more for a carbon bar, as tend to be lighter and better at absorbing trail buzz.
    I can vouch for the stem. I use the same stem and it's been great, especially for the money. Just don't over tighten the bolts - that's true for all stems though.

@supersonic, I was considering that bar too but want to know how in general is the rise of a bar measured? Is it from the centreline at the middle of the bar (where the little cross hair is printed) to the bar tips or to the centreline of the second bend?
  • apcmtb
    More weight as if its needed :D

I had the same question. Asked at my LBS and he said different manufacturers have different ways of measuring, which is of little help :?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not sure on how they are generally measured - centre line at clamp to line between bar tips I thought.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I understood that different manufacturers use different measurements, some use bar tips and some use a line between the inboard end of the controls section (it seems) and I guess some 'rounding' goes on (so a rise of say 21mm may be called 1") as well.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.