Too easy to spend money....

mattward1979
mattward1979 Posts: 692
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
Indulging in retail therapy when addicted to cycling is potentially bankrupting!!!

Shoes, pedals, chain, rear cassette, sunglasses... And really trying hard to not order tyres and energy powder...
exercise.png

Comments

• dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    It's taken you almost 2 years to find this out.

Most people its on the second day of owning a bike :)
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    You'll forget about the cost when everything is unwrapped at home :)

And what tyres were you thinking about???? Not trying to make you buy them or anything.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Don't forget about powermeters ... absolutely essential these days :wink:
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    I started out by thinking I was really economizing. Bought an unbranded frame bike with fairly decent components.

Then I realised I needed helmet/shoes/pedals/jersey/bib shorts/tights

Then I realised I needed another set of jersey/bib shorts as my ride frequency meant I couldn't turn around the laundry quick enough.

Then I needed trip computer.

Then my seat wasn't right so I upgraded.

Then I swapped my road shoes for MTB shoes.

Then I upgraded my wheels, requiring a new cassette.

Then carbon bars and stem.

Also, CO2 pump/tools/tubes/saddle pouch.

Water bottle/cage.

I've had this bike 6 weeks :lol:
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    who said cycling was cheap :?
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I always think to myself before a big (often multiple) purchase "after i get a, b and c" that will be me good for the rest of the year i'll have everything i need or want.

Couple of weeks later and it is "after i get d, e and f" that will be me good... :D
  • was looking at the Conti GP 4000's....

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gra ... road-tyre/

And yeah took me 2 years as I spent a fortune on "stuff" when I first got my bike =P

But yeah, cant wait till I graduate and start earning a real salary again, as I have a massive list of things I want now... Goddamn you wiggle!!!
    exercise.png
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I have 2 bikes and keep pestering the mrs for a nicer one ..
    In the last 2 months i have had 3 pairs of shorts, 3 jerseys , a new chain,cassette , saddle and saddlebag.

I still sell £150 of bits i had in the garage mind .
    I need to wallet shut ...
    But those carbon fork + seat post will make my bike so much nicer :wink:
    FCN 3/5/9
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    If I could just have those new wheels it will make all the difference :D
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Indulging in retail therapy when addicted to cycling is potentially bankrupting!!!

Shoes, pedals, chain, rear cassette, sunglasses... And really trying hard to not order tyres and energy powder...

This will damage your nasal passage more than your bank balance!
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    I don't know my credit cards pin number for this reason. I was in my lbs recently and chatting to the owner and this point came up, he said that its not a problem as he could do anything I wanted as a phone order. I just about managed to leave with only what I went in for. :o
  • haha well small price to pay for en extra boost in the saddle =P
    exercise.png
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    was looking at the Conti GP 4000's....

Do it they're great :twisted:

Not a bad price too......
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I have finally come to the conclusion that cycling and all the neccessary bits and bobs that go with it have created a habit as addictive and expensive as any Class A addiction! ( I'd imagine :shock: ) Just when I think I have bought the last thing I need, I find I have to convince the wife that the next purchase is something I really need and cannot do without. It never ends!!! I think the stock line I use " could be worse love, I could be in the pub all day" may be starting to wear thin! Need to think up a new one.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Butterd2 wrote:
    was looking at the Conti GP 4000's....

Do it they're great :twisted:

Not a bad price too......

The GP 4000S's are even better (and cheaper at Ribble than the 4000's at Wiggle (as long as you like black)).
  • HiMoz
    HiMoz Posts: 62
    I've spent a couple times over on gear than I spent on my £200 2nd hand ebay road bike since I started cycling a couple of months ago. Today was payday/student loans day all in one so another big splash was made over at wiggle.

That's all to change at the end of the month when I get my first "proper" bike :shock:

It really is expensive especially when you're into the geeky gear side of things too. My girlfriend laughs at me but her clothes shopping habit isn't much better.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Challenged by a friend today who'd just bought a NEW bike for £70 :shock: :shock: :shock: to justify spending a tad more than that on my kit. Er...
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Know the feeling ive been cycling since august and spent thick end of 4500 quid and more to come. I thought I couldnt warrent spending 6000 on a yamaha r1 and thought cycling will be cheaper. haha lost lots of weight i wouldnt have on a yamaha though.
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    I just bought a jersey that cost half as much my original bike.
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • invincible
    invincible Posts: 154
    I have finally come to the conclusion that cycling and all the neccessary bits and bobs that go with it have created a habit as addictive and expensive as any Class A addiction! ( I'd imagine :shock: ) Just when I think I have bought the last thing I need, I find I have to convince the wife that the next purchase is something I really need and cannot do without. It never ends!!! I think the stock line I use " could be worse love, I could be in the pub all day" may be starting to wear thin! Need to think up a new one.

tell her you could be fat & playing golf instead :wink:
  • T-Rekster
    T-Rekster Posts: 110
    Know the feeling ive been cycling since august and spent thick end of 4500 quid and more to come. I thought I couldnt warrent spending 6000 on a yamaha r1 and thought cycling will be cheaper. haha lost lots of weight i wouldnt have on a yamaha though.

recognise that, started cycling to lose some additional weight, just didn't count on losing all the pounds from my wallet first!

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    It's deadly, isn't it?
    Ha, that's just the cheap stuff... it's the wheels, groupsets, bars etc. and occasional frames that are really dangerous... Oh, and not to mention top-end clothing which is definitely in the latter category too.

The weird thing though is that I hardly ever regret cycling related purchases. There's hardly anything I've bought where I look back and think "oops, that was a bit of a waste of money". It all gets used and appreciated.