Hushovd not happy at Garmin

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited April 2011 in Pro race
Norwegian article here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... %3Dtwitter

Says he wants more opportunities to ride for himself, and hasn't been paid a bonus that JV promised him for winning the Worlds.

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    he had plenty of opportunity to ride for hmself at paris-roubaix but was too busy sucking wheel to notice.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    He's a bit of a whinger isn't he...

If he's not been paid money he's owed then that's fair enough, but Garmins failure in the classics (PR excepted) was partly his fault...he hardly covered himself in glory.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Who's the guy that has the big beef with Vaughters over unpaid money? Is this a recurring theme.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    gsk82 wrote:
    he had plenty of opportunity to ride for hmself at paris-roubaix but was too busy sucking wheel to notice.

If that's what you think then you clearly don't understand bike racing.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Not really performing as World Champ.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    andyp wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

you can't claim that he didn't want to chase his team mate (who eventually won) because at times another of his team mates was on the front chasing
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Oh look - he has upcoming contract negotiations: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hushovd ... ct-in-july

Remind me again - what other sprinter was bitching about money recently as part of pre-negotiation foreplay?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    gsk82 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

you can't claim that he didn't want to chase his team mate (who eventually won) because at times another of his team mates was on the front chasing

His teammates weren't on the front trying to catch JVS & co. They were there to maintain exactly the gap Garmin wanted - not too big, not too small.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    LangerDan wrote:
    Oh look - he has upcoming contract negotiations: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hushovd ... ct-in-july

Remind me again - what other sprinter was bitching about money recently as part of pre-negotiation foreplay?

The difference is that when Cav was moaning he'd just won the green jersey and a clutch of stages in the Vuelta. Unfortunately Hushovds performances so far this year haven't really increased his value much above what it was after the WC last year. Did Thor sign his contract with the new team before or after his WC win?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I don't know just how much he's moaning but he's been supported in full by his team. He got caught out in Milan San Remo and had to sit back in Roubaix. Maybe he's hoping to do something in the Tour de France, especially since the opening stage will suit him.

Ironically his best chance could be the worlds again but in all the years on the road he's been a solid rider capable of some high profile wins but he's not the best around. Hopefully his agent is just stirring.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I heard a month or so ago that Hushovd had told Garmin outright there was no way he was riding for Farrar in any race of any importance - you never know with gossip even if it's from a decent source but it does suggest there is more to it than just angling for a new contract.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    LangerDan wrote:

It all depends what they're all being paid. It was reported by Inner Ring that Cav was being paid less than the likes of Cunego and Ricco, which is BS.

Cav, in the realms of cycling stardom, is on a par with Cancellara, Gilbert, Contador, and maybe, but just maybe, Basso, Boonen, Nibali and Schleck.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    hushovd sounds like he expects the whole team to polish his shoes and wipe his ar5e.
    you could see the hissy fit in PR when told not to work.
    he wont win a flat sprint he is too slow now, so no world bands for him this year . JV will just wave him off i imagine come January, rather than pay too much money to an aging slightly overweight fella who won't ride for the team....
  • From what I understand the bonus he is owed is really the responsibility of Cervelo, but JV offered to pay it if he could secure funds for it. That isn't exactly a definite yes to a bonus if you ask me, and if that was what Thor was told I don't know why he is actually expecting to get the bonus.

And after seeing the way Evans carried himself and raced in the rainbow jersey last year Thor is coming off as a major disappointment and a lot less classy in comparison.

His best days are through anyway, and if he plans on staying with Garmin he should probably get used to riding for Farrar and picking up wins where he can.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Two teams were thrown together wern't they.

I've had time to reflect on his dismal P-R and wondered how things would have worked out if the Cervelo team spirit had been with him that day.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    The fez ti,es he has worked his arse off for farrar so far have yet to yeild any success so an partly see why he isnt as keen to continue this
  • deejay wrote:
    Two teams were thrown together wern't they.

I've had time to reflect on his dismal P-R and wondered how things would have worked out if the Cervelo team spirit had been with him that day.

It would have ended the same way, or if his group would have caught the break Cancellara would have won considering he got pretty close to JVS in the velodrome.

Much like Hincapie, Hushovd will never win Roubaix unless some crazy event happens that knocks out all of the other favorites and he somehow makes it through.

Plus, with other younger classics talent coming around it will just get more difficult for him.

I personally would have liked to see Hincapie win over the years, but it just isn't going to happen.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I personally would have liked to see Hincapie win over the years, but it just isn't going to happen.

100% this :cry: