Help with possible frame swap please

rtorbs
rtorbs Posts: 94
edited April 2011 in MTB beginners
Help guys,

I've been riding my Boardman HT pro for about 6 months now and on the whole I like it as its really light and nimble but my mates selling a Ragley Mmmbop frame that I've fallen in love with and I was wondering what parts I can transfer over if I was to get it?

Reason I'm thinking of doing so is cos I find myself riding more downhill than pure xc and I want something that still climbs well but with more travel up front than the 100mm the boardman gives me, that and coupled with the fact I keep smashing my knees on the tapered top tube.....ouch....must be my spangly bow legs ha

so my questions are:

Firstly given what i want from the bike i.e light, nimble, ability to climb when needed but more importantly a hooligan downhill.....am I wasting my time or am I on the right track with the frame?

Then with the exception of getting a longer travel fork and a shorter 50-70mm stem (as advised), can I utilise the existing kit? Its pretty much stock with the exception of WTB saddle, moabs, 2.1 maxxis advantage and some MG1s

Will the 160mm elixir Rs be adequate enough ? I'm only just over 10 stone and don't go totally mental, if not though is it just a case of getting bigger discs or are each specific?

I don't want to spend a total mint as the forks alone are gonna pull my pants down so any help/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated

I'm not attempting to build this myself either but would like a heads up before I approach my LBS :) hence all the questions

I'm still new to all this so please be nice lol

Cheers all

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Sounds like a good plan to me. I was very close to buying an Mmmbop for similar reasons to those you describe (It was only a friend selling his (now my) FS that stopped me).

You'll need new gear cables, etc and a 1.5/taper/reducer headset to accomodate whatever fork you choose. Maybe you could actually become the owner of those cheap 1.5" forks on CRC that seems to have travelled half-way around the world since Xmas :lol: Your current seatpost may or may not fit. Chances are a fork in the range of travel you'd be looking for would be thru-axle, so a new front-wheel may be in order. I'd probably up the front disc to 180mm, but you'll have a better idea of whether that's necessary. I'd definitely look at a new handlebar too; minimum of 710mm to balance the shorter stem/slacker HA.

After that I'd just upgrade to more suitable bits as and when needed.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH i would not bother.

Keep a rideable bike and slowly build up the new frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rtorbs
    warpcow wrote:
    You'll need new gear cables, etc and a 1.5/taper/reducer headset to accomodate whatever fork you choose. Maybe you could actually become the owner of those cheap 1.5" forks on CRC that seems to have travelled half-way around the world since Xmas :lol: Your current seatpost may or may not fit. Chances are a fork in the range of travel you'd be looking for would be thru-axle, so a new front-wheel may be in order. I'd probably up the front disc to 180mm, but you'll have a better idea of whether that's necessary. I'd definitely look at a new handlebar too; minimum of 710mm to balance the shorter stem/slacker HA.

After that I'd just upgrade to more suitable bits as and when needed.

ok cool so the brakes i can utilise at least, the bar is 670mm i think which is a shame will check up on the forks also...was looking at fox float 32 140mm or some rock shox revelation but obviously need to do some homework

What about gearing? im finding my current 27spd complete overkill and could probably get away with 1 or 2x9...is this achievable?

cheers
  • rtorbs
    nicklouse wrote:
    TBH i would not bother.

Keep a rideable bike and slowly build up the new frame.

yeah fair point, I wont strip one till i have the complete parts for the other.....was thinking about getting the forks for an up coming birthday and just buying bits here and there whislt riding the boardman