Fine tuning my Rockshox Recons Silver TK

tank121
tank121 Posts: 201
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've now completed a few rides with my new forks and feel i'm now getting the best out of them.

There are two dial adjusters lockout - pretty obvious

Rebound - my understanding is that this the speed they rebound up and down. This is a case of personal prerence or is there an optinal setting.

I've read that the spring is standard in the forks and can be adjusted by preload. Do I worry/need to do this ?

My bike is a 17" Giant Terrago Trail I'm about 5 5" (stocky build) and overweight, currently about 13 11

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Rebound is how fast they extend.
    preload if you are getting the sag you want (about 25%) then your spring is fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tank121
    tank121 Posts: 201
    Cheers Nick I'm new to this and heard about sag. How do i determine it and set it ?
  • stardude
    stardude Posts: 255
    the preload lets you apply some pressure to the spring before you apply any pressure to it from sitting on the bike and riding it.
    this makes the fork slightly stiffer.

the rebound adjusts how quickly the fork returns after it has been compressed. if it is set too fast, it can act like a pogo and bounce the front end up. If it's too slow, it will not return fully before the next bump, and so the travel gets shorter and shorted after each bump untill you either allow it to return or it bottoms out.