training wheels for the heavier rider

tobermory
tobermory Posts: 138
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
I am looking to get new wheels for my trek 1-5 to replace the bontrager wheels that came with them i weigh about 15 stones and want a lighter wheels but some that will hold my weight i only want them for training not real speed work
Never trust anyone who says trust me

Comments

• user321
    user321 Posts: 50
    You might get some more informed replies if your subject line was something along the lines of "Training wheel suggestions for the heavier rider?".

Just a tip and trying to be helpful :) I don't have any actual advice on suitable wheels as I'm a 9 stone weakling :lol:
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    What's your budget?

My recommendation so far is anything from Fulcrum.
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    You can look for some handbuilt mavic Open Sport or Open Pro with your choice of hubs

They both come also in 36h versions so they can carry some extra wait

I had Open Sports 32h with 105 hubs and they were solid and reliable performers. I'm only 4 kilos lighter than you are:-)
  • CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    My Mavic Aksiums have seemed pretty bomb proof so far. Ok, I'm only 13stone (ONLY !!), but I've hit some bleeding big potholes with them and they've survived extremely well.

Could always get some handbuilt. Pete Matthews used to do a great line in handbuilt wheels, but dunno if he still does it.
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Or try Harry Rowland, another famed wheelbuilder:-

http://www.harryrowland.co.uk/
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    ProLite comos, cheap, heavy and bulletproof, great for training.
  • tobermory
    What's your budget?

My recommendation so far is anything from Fulcrum.
    About £450
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Roval fusee

Only 20/24 spokes, but they are straight pull spokes with internal nipples, and have handled18 stone of bike and rider with no problems....

Weigh 1468 grammes, and cost me £250 in a sale....
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Some good handbuilts.

I'm about your weight running halo mercury rims laced 16/24 hole radial front radial nds rear 3x ds rear on halo hubs (Fancied something different) hit a MASSIVE pothole at about 20mph which pinch-flatted the tube in two places and caused the bars to spin down but the wheels are still perfectly true. Built by myself.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    + one for the Pro Lite comos. Ive just done way of the roses c2c including the rock strewn descent from clapham on mine at over 14 stone and fully laden. They didnt move an inch.

Hand built 3 x times normal spoke strength and light enough at £90 absolute bargain.

For £450 you can have 4 pairs not that you'll ever bust the first.

They are that good I use them on my Kaffenbach for touring and commuting and on my PX pro carbon Sl for training.

When I want some bling for racing I m definiitely going to look at the Pro Lite Gavias, their wheels are just bombproof.
  • tobermory
    Having emailed Derek what i wanted he came back with Ambrosio excellence on Ambrosio hubs uci 32 spoke any thoughts on this they are to go on a Trek 1-5 i am not really into speed work just training
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    If your going down the handbuilt wheelset route than Rowlands using the Ambrosio rims and hubs in a 32 spoke pattern seem to be the popular indestructable bullet proof route.

No personal experience of them other than what I have read and I ve never read anything but positive reviews, same goes for all the stuff Harry Rowland builds.