Dalby Forest - what's it like ?

tobh
tobh Posts: 103
edited April 2011 in Routes
We are thinking of going there for a weekend in June.

Any feedback mucho appreciated..

Comments

• Nick Cod
    Nick Cod Posts: 321
    In a few words, bloody brilliant

Been there a few times, most recently start of April. Attended one of the night rides on the Wednesday evening they run out of the purple bike shop at Dalby, would highly recommend!!

Rode the red route and was shown some of the world cup course on the night ride. One of the best places I've ridden hands down.

Also has bail out points to take you back to the visitor centre on the waymarked routes if you're only out for a short blast on the trail, nice touch
    2016 Cube Agree C:62 SLT DISC
    2013 Cayo Evo 3
    2013 Zesty 414
    2002 Avalanche 0.0
    2018 Vitus Substance v2 105 Gravel
  • Red route is brilliant. Long, (23 miles) fast, some good climbs, not too technical, mile after mile of singletrack and very little fire roads or tarmac. Its got a lot of everything really. Better if you can do it on weekday though as it can get get a bit busy at weekends and you can get held back a bit cos the faster you do it, the better it gets. Definetly still one of, if not my favourite ride, never fails to put masive smile on my face and ive ridden it about a dozen times. Do it, you wont regret it!
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I love Dalby (or the 3/4 I managed), I nearly killed myself there, ok it may be a slight exaggeration but it crushed, smashed and split my helmet in two at the back, so I guess it did it's job :shock: Also I couldn't move elbow for 5 weeks afterwards and had a massive lack of skin on my leg. Consequently I ended up rolling along the escape route fireroad things back to Purple Mountian place, but the bit I did was fun as, just need to be more sensible next time :roll:

But in all honesty it's a brilliant XC route
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    some people love it,some people dont........if you love trail centres then dalby will be great fun,if youre going to do the full red route then it would be a shame not to do the world cup course as well,which would make it 27 miles.

climbs are short and steep,with switchbacks...and the descents are much the same,there is a bit of fireroad climbing linking certain bits up,if you post a bit closer to the time,you might find someone with a bit of local knowledge who knows a few hidden parts to join up with you.
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Hard Yacker on the ol' legs in places, but normous fun
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • .kyle
    .kyle Posts: 12
    I love cycling round Dalby. Been there more times than I can remember and have yet to get bored by going there.

Have done the normal red route stuff, but have also found LOADS of fun sections away from the marked trails.