Playful hardtail...

Oldskool_Paul
Oldskool_Paul Posts: 127
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions on a new ride. Here's the deal.

I have a Cycle 2 Work voucher for £1000 burning a hole in my pocket. Initally I was going to get a road bike to compliment my MTB (A Commencal Meta 5.5)

After thinking about it a bit I'm almost (and I mean almost) thinking of going for a hardtail that I can chuck some slicks on for commuting/road riding but I can use it to play on offroad etc too.

I want something that's 'playful' in character but not like a jump bike type thing, needs to be able to do some miles too. I ride Cannock Chase very regularly as I work in Rugeley so using the Dog/Monkey as a benchmark for the kind of stuff I like doing. I'm hoping I can save some wear and tear on my full susser and keep me skillz polished with a hardtail lol. I also do the odd Enduro so it'd be nice to have a spare bike, plus the fact my Commie seems to be getting a fair bit heavier! I've been riding mountain bikes for nearly 18 years so I know what I like but just a bit rusty on specs as my current ride is 3 years old.

I'm aiming to spend around £750 so I can get some decent lights with me voucher too and maybe a lock for locking it up at work.

Any suggestions welcome...apart from Boardmans/Carreras because my voucher is for independent shops only....of which there are many however!

Thanks for reading
Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
'11 Genesis Aether 20

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Buy a couple of 501/2bs with XM-L chips in for 13 quid a pop, some cells and a charger, leaving you 30-50 quid for some semi decent locks (its about quantity as well as quality) leaving you 900 on the bike, which means:

Cube LTD
    Spesh rockhopper comp
    Whyte 805
    trek 6300

are all worth a look.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Saracen Zen could be fun
  • Cheers, I'll have a look at those.

Been looking at an On-One Inbred, the SLX is £850 at the moment, seems like a good buy until I saw they charge an extra 12% for cycle plus vouchers....ho hum
    Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
    '11 Genesis Aether 20
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    yeah the voucher scheme is a bit like an ISA, because you're saving cash they all want their slice.

Hardly any shops will haggle with you if you are using a voucher, but I've not heard of too many that charge extra.

tbh unless you are on 50% tax its hardly worth the bother.

Given that the schemes charge you 60 quid too, thats around 200 quid gone to start.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Go for the roadie and enjoy the best of both worlds.

I put slicks on my rigid MTB and it was still slow on the road because the gearing is not ideal.

Slicks are rubish off road, so you loose that.

So I bought a roadie (Spez Allez Sport)

Then I realised my MTB was old & crap and bought an Orange G3 on the CTW

So now I have a roadie I like and a MTB I like

Sorted
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Si1988
    Si1988 Posts: 158
    Saracen Zen could be fun

I can wholeheartedly recommend the zen. If youre not a big rider there are still afew 14" and 16" framed 2010 zen 3's floating about for around £760. I think I was lucky enough to get one of the remaining 18s.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... ?&id=13056

Maybe something like this. You said it's a voucher that's not accepted in Halfords so Leisure Lakes may be able to do this sale bike on CTW
  • Oldskool_Paul
    Oldskool_Paul Posts: 127
    Good shout on the Zen & Ramones (keep it in the Commencal family!)

Been thinking though and decided I need something to contrast my Meta rather than a 'scaled down' version. I'll end up with 2 bikes sucking up me cash so going for a road bike now although I hate the stupid garish graphics they're adorned with....but that's another story!

Cheers for your input guys
    Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
    '11 Genesis Aether 20