can I talk about packs here?

tcmspark
tcmspark Posts: 3
edited April 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys, sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section (new member!) but I'm looking to get a backpack for when i'm riding. I'm a fairly new rider and so still aquiring bits and pieces, up until now if i've had to i've just used and over-the-shoulder bag which is a nightmare!
anyway, the bag need to have a bladder, and space for a pretty big 30ish cm D-lock, keys, wallet, sunglasses, phone...

the big thing is the D-lock and i don't want to get a pack that i'm gonna have to force the lock into and ultimately have a metal bar pushed into the small of my back!!

i was recommended to look at the Osprey Raptor series
http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/RaptorSeriesHydrationSpecificMountainBikingTrailRunning
but i'm not convinced it has the space i need. though it looks great in every other respect.

any of you guys own one? can offer alternatives?
Many thanks!

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    it's the buying advice section so ask away.

the Raptor 18 is 18 litres and holds a 3 litre bladder. why do you feel you need more space?
  • BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    Get a bike specific one. A camelbak is the ultimate riding pack and there are so many to choose from that you can find one for almost anyhting you want to carry. A Camelbak H.A.W.G. (Hold a lot of water and gear) is one of my personal favourites, it's light easy to use, tryuley massive inside, and you can find cheap ones if you look around. Go to Chain Reaction or Wiggle and look at all their Camelbaks.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Even the Osprey you linked to seems over-sized for what you describe. I get away with just 3.5L packing space (+3L bladder) and carry considerably more in terms of tools, jacket, etc (though wallet isn't necessary, just cash and/or card).
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    The Dakine range is very good too. just choose the one big enough for your kit. I have one of their cycling hydration packs and a normal back pack too. Both are very comfortable and highly recommended by me.
  • tcmspark
    tcmspark Posts: 3
    Thanks for your replies guys! I had a look at the osprey raptor (stupidly didn't make a note of the litre) and i was very aware that the bag looked very big and contained very little usable space for my purpose without deforming the shape of the bag.
    I'll have a look at all the sugestions now :)