Used MTB for a mate

.Brucey.
.Brucey. Posts: 66
edited April 2011 in MTB buying advice
Bike peoples,

A good friend of mine is looking at getting a used MTB to pop his biking cherry on to see if he enjoys it as much as I say he will.

His budget is £250-300 and is after something sturdy/reliable enough to follow me round some trail centres and local trail riding.

Any recommendations?

Bruce

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The best bet for that money is to keep an eye on the sales or a nearly new used one (Gumtree or fleabay), otherwise go-outdoors, Halfords (Carrera Vulcan or Voodoo Bantu) or Decathlon depending what you have near you!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    I'd go second hand at that price and get a decent hardtail. Does your LBS have any second hand bikes?

Be carefuil on ebay, although if you search local area you may be able to pick something up that you can inspect before hand.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    go used pick up only. They sell for less and you can inspect it before buying it.
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    Don't most trail centres have somewhere you can hire a bike?
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    stuisnew wrote:
    Be carefuil on ebay, although if you search local area you may be able to pick something up that you can inspect before hand.
    Ebay can be a risk, but the rewards can be good, make sure you read both what and advert says and what it doesn't say, and ask relevant questions to fiill the gaps.

The daughters BF got a Carrera Vulcan for £65, just needed a pair of wheels and tyres/QRs (they'd been stolen) and setting up, on the road for £105 was a bargain!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.