Eczema

TRbike
TRbike Posts: 27
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
I suffer from eczema, mainly on my hands but also across my legs, arms and torso. I have noticed since I started cycling around a month ago it seems to have got a bit worse especially across my torso and upper legs. I think this may be caused by the clothing I wear, cycling jersey & shorts.

I was wondering if anyone else out there suffers from eczema like this and whether they've had similar experiences. If so how have you combated it? Is there alternate clothing material to what the standard cycling gear is made of?

Thanks

Comments

• weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    I get mild eczema but only really on my hands. It tends to get irritated under gloves which can get sweaty and clammy on rides. I try and keep them aerated as much as possible to keep the area dry, perhaps not quite so easy under your jersey.
  • dmont
    dmont Posts: 74
    May be lashing on some sudo cream will help.

I use it for my psoriasis and I find it helps in those areas that get irritated due to cycling..

Good luck in finding what works for you.
    Riding - Voodoo Bantu
  • mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    I had a horrendous time last year, spent about 8 months with almost my entire body inflamed and constantly itchy.

Tried many treatments and had skin patch testing done, unfortunately on the day of test I forgot to take some cycle clothing with me for them to use as one of the patches, so never got to the bottom of whether it was related to clothing.

Did find a slight reaction to a certain chemical used in certain shower gels (imperial leather)

Go to the docs and nip it in the bud quickly, it can get out of control easily. Eventually I got a decent strong steroid cream that really helped and almost back to normal.

Also as I was commuting I was showering twice a day, which dries out the skin and the best thing I found to moisturise the body is this stuff

Vaseline Moisture Locking body lotion, you can get it in Boots, I tried loads of different kinds in the 8 months and once I tried this wouldnt use anything else.

http://www.vaseline.co.uk/Carousel.aspx?Path=Consumer/OurProducts/IntensiveRescueRange/Home

In terms of clothing that I think might irritate my skin is the braces on bib shorts, now I think this is because it is an open mesh, therefore rough, and it irritates as it rubs, rather than the material type itself. Over the shoulders/chest is the only place that still gets itchy, so I put it down to the mesh.

But go to the docs and get it seen to as quickly as possible.
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • Mar ge
    Mar ge Posts: 88
    My lady suffers from this issue & certainly clothing (or clothing that exaggerates perspiration) is a significant contributing factor.

Cotton clothing wherever possible is a good starting point but try not to get too warm.
    The 'breathable' nylon fabrics seem to not be so effective.

The warmer weather of the past weeks has certainly exaggerated the issue also...