When to replace tyres? Too many cuts??

rc856
rc856 Posts: 1,144
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
Hi folks, as a fairly recent returnee to bikes, I was wondering how many cuts are too many on tyres?
I've read about certain brands that cut up more than others and I'm currently using Conti
Gatorskins.
Went over a bit of glass the other day and stopped to check, noticing a cut a couple of mm long. The tyre didn't p****ure.
Is this now an obvious weak point and should I replace the tyre or can they get quite a lot of cuts before getting past it?
Guess it would be expensive to replace a tyre everytime it got a cut but I'm just curious as I've never really paid much attention before. Just replaced them if I was getting a few p's!
Thanks

Comments

• nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    RC856 wrote:
    Hi folks, as a fairly recent returnee to bikes, I was wondering how many cuts are too many on tyres?
    I've read about certain brands that cut up more than others and I'm currently using Conti
    Gatorskins.
    Went over a bit of glass the other day and stopped to check, noticing a cut a couple of mm long. The tyre didn't p****ure.
    Is this now an obvious weak point and should I replace the tyre or can they get quite a lot of cuts before getting past it?
    Guess it would be expensive to replace a tyre everytime it got a cut but I'm just curious as I've never really paid much attention before. Just replaced them if I was getting a few p's!
    Thanks

Depends on how large/deep the cut is and whether it is gaping open. I've got quite a few on the back tire of my winter bike, maybe 10+. None of them are that bad or resulted in a puncture, so I just ignore them. I'll stick a new back tire on for next winter though.

If the cut was right through or was gaping open I'd replace the tyre.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • I bought a set of gators, and on my first trip out (through Abbey Wood in south east London, or as i like to call it, post war Beirut!) got a puncture which ripped through the Tyre and shredded the fabric running through it, so maiden voyage and had to replace one...

my other one has been on the bike for nearly a year, clocked up several thousand miles and doesnt look like it will require replacing any time soon!!

Just keep an eye on them, and if they start looking like they are really worn, replace them... With cuts, until you start having to dig stones out after every ride, I wouldnt worry
    exercise.png
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Small cuts can be superglued together

Just let the tyre down until the cut closes up, tease it open and bung the glue in

Then wait a bit and inflate to pressure.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Superglue will harden the rubber, I was told about a glue to use that doesn't harden the rubber, but its name escapes me at the mo............
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    If the cut is just in the rubber and not through the fabric you can safely ignore it.

I'm currently riding some Pro Race 3's which look awful but have never punctured. On Pro3's you'd be replacing them every week if you started to worry about how they look though...
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Thanks folks.
    Yeah, it was the Pros I'd read about cutting up a lot.
    Seems blindingly obvious now but I just never used to pay attention, or spend much, on the tyres.