Bike Security

waby1234
waby1234 Posts: 571
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Having just purchased my Carrera Fury I'm now thinking about making it secure and less likely to be stolen.

I understand that some councils/police forces offer security marking of bikes - is anyone aware of anywhere that does this in the Birmingham/Midlands area?

I've also seen this website - http://www.bikerevolution.org/ - which you can sign up for and tag your bike so should it ever be stolen it can be logged. It looks like a good idea, although I did think couldn't a thief just remove the security tag?

Has anyone come across any other security marking or devices to help reduce the impact of getting your bike stolen?

Cheers
2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco

Comments

• Chilesy
    Chilesy Posts: 152
    I had one of my bikes postcoded by the police a few years ago , I just rang the police station and they told me when I could go there . This will make it easier to recover if it is stolen but I would try and make it as hard as possible for thieves to take it in the first place . Good quality locks, a ground anchor to lock the bike to at home , shed alarm , anything that will make them think twice
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    There are loads of threads on this. Check around for one in your size and colour. boom boom :oops:

The general concensus seems to be that if a crook wants your bike, they'll get it. Have it insured and in the house if at all possible.
  • waby1234
    There are loads of threads on this. Check around for one in your size and colour. boom boom :oops:

The general concensus seems to be that if a crook wants your bike, they'll get it. Have it insured and in the house if at all possible.

Have you got any links to any of the threads as I couldn't actually find any about security marking when I was searching earlier?

That general consensus is all well and good but I'd also like to security mark my bike - anything that potentially puts a thief off has got to be good!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    this might help your searching abilities. click
  • waby1234
    kaiser83 wrote:
    this might help your searching abilities. click

:P thanks for that, not much help searching these forums though is it...
    2011 Carrera Fury

• Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    There are various security markings about like postcoding (or whatever the old bill do now), data tag, smart water etc & they'll all help you get the bike back to you rather than have it ending up on bumblebee auctions in the event it gets retrieved. Unfortunately they all rely on the bike being retrieved in the first place & taking note of the frame number should have the same effect.

The spylamp looks like a promising bit of kit though.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • Spray it up to look old and knackered, then nobody will nick it :twisted:
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • if apple can track you ipad and iphone so easily why cant someone sort something for mountain bikes?
    1996 GT Borrego - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert - 2010 Specialized enduro expert
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    if apple can track you ipad and iphone so easily why cant someone sort something for mountain bikes?

You could. But it needs power, and a cellphone can only be tracked roughly by triangulating on cellphone masts. You could use GPS but that uses even more power.
    Tracker works on cars, but not practical for bikes, and relatively expensive.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools