Ribble sportive or planet X?

hughes538
hughes538 Posts: 13
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
Hi

I am just getting my first road bike. I have debated over what to get for a while and have whittled it down to a Ribble sportive bianco with full SRAM Force or else a PLanet X SL Pro with SRAM red.

Has anybody any experience of either bike and which bike would people advise for a first road bike.

Also I was curious as to the performance of the FSA team issue mega exo carbon crank on the Planet X, has anyone got one and what do they think.

Thanks

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I would go for the planet x out of those two.

if its your first road bike - I doubt that crank performance would be an issue.
  • buder
    buder Posts: 154
    hughes538 wrote:
    Hi

I am just getting my first road bike. I have debated over what to get for a while and have whittled it down to a Ribble sportive bianco with full SRAM Force or else a PLanet X SL Pro with SRAM red.

Has anybody any experience of either bike and which bike would people advise for a first road bike.

Also I was curious as to the performance of the FSA team issue mega exo carbon crank on the Planet X, has anyone got one and what do they think.

Thanks

Hi

I have PL X SRAM red and think its a nice ride definitely cant argue its a good first road
    bike, but the ribble is also.

I understand what your saying about the fact its not a full group, and that is a consideration in comparison to the Ribble, but some would say on the Planet X the stuff that matters is Red.

I have the FSA Carbon chainset and think it performs very well actually and looks good also no complaints whatsoever.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Very pleased with my PX.

I had the cheaper FSA Gossamer MegaExo chainset on my PX SL.

No complains with that chainset at all. I have just upgraded to the SRAM Red Chainset, but I can't notice any difference, apart from looks.

I'm sure the Sportive Bianco is also a very nice ride, and has had good reviews recently.

I'm sure both bikes you would be pleased with. It may come down to which one you prefer the look of.
    Simon
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    I have the P-X Nano light, if you can, I would save a tad more and maybe get either the Red or Athena build for £1499, I know this is quite a jump in budget, but it is a really brilliant frame, I was looking at buying a higher aend frame and using this as a stop gap, but at this stage I have no plans to change it.

If this is not an option, I would be more inclined to go with the Ribble out of the two on looks alone, but I have not ridden either bike so can't pass judgment on them.

Either way you will have a very good bike to enjoy.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I was also looking at these two bikes as the first road bike, but ended up going for the Moda Stretto.. test rode one and couldnt wipe the smile from my face even after just 5 minutes on it!!

The ribble is the one of the two you suggest though, but worth a look at the Moda tempo or stretto...

Another bike i was toying with was the Kuota and the Wilier... all nice bikes!!

Moda for the win though :lol:
  • The geometry of the bikes are quite different - I have the Planet X; it's an excellent frame for the money, BUT it has a relatively short head tube. This results in a low profile riding position - a good thing if you have the back/core strength for it (esp over longer distances). Not so great if you're a decrepit 40 something like me! Its horses for courses. I'm looking to sell my Planet X frame and replace it with a more upright frame.

Incidentaly does anyone know which of the Ribble frames offers the most upright riding position? New Sportive, Bianco or Gran Fondo? Thanks
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The geometry of the bikes are quite different - I have the Planet X; it's an excellent frame for the money, BUT it has a relatively short head tube. This results in a low profile riding position - a good thing if you have the back/core strength for it (esp over longer distances). Not so great if you're a decrepit 40 something like me! Its horses for courses. I'm looking to sell my Planet X frame and replace it with a more upright frame.
    +1 on this. The bikes are quite different. You need to look first at what type of rider you are then at which bikes are suitable. A stack of spacers and a raised stem would not look so good on the PX but would be preferable to not being able to get your bars low enough on the Ribble. Why it is always best to try before you buy if possible.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited April 2011
    I have a P-X SL Pro with Dura Ace mechs and shifters. The FSA chainset (Gossamar Mega Exo) is fine, as said above the important bits are Red (or in my case Dura Ace).

Not felt the need to upgrade anything apart from the alloy seatpost which I swapped for a £50 Pro Lite carbon one (it started to corrode, some sort of electrical reaction with the carbon I'm told).

The other bits - P-X bars and saddle - I like these so much I bought some more for my other bikes; stem, perfectly fine; tektro brakes, have been perfectly good once the pads were changed; Model-B wheels - outstanding, very light, smooth and strong, so much so I bought a set for g/f's bike; 105 cassette, fine, KMC chain also fine.

As for the geometry - I left the 3cm of spacers under the stem and I find it as comfortable as my old steel Dawes Audax - doesn't seem too low to me (and I am an old git with a chronic bad back).

When I got the P-X I was aloso looking at the Ribble and did try to make enquiries with them, however the level of (not) service ruled them out. P-X were a joy to deal with in comparison. Other than that I have no experience of Ribble, may well have gone for it if things had been different but I couldn't be more satisfied than I am with the P-X and it is a joy to ride.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Get the one you think looks best - they're both more than good enough for a first road bike. If you want to use it year round then you'll probably want to fit Crud Road Racer mudguards, in which case you might want to check that they'll both take them (the Planet X Nanolight doesn't so while its a great bike (I have one), it's not a great do-everything bike).
    More problems but still living....
  • hughes538
    hughes538 Posts: 13
    Thanks for the previous advice.

Unfortunately I still haven't purchased a bike yet and to make matters worse Planet X have put the price of the SL pro SRAM red up to £1499.

I still think that it is reasonably good value but both my friends have Planet X sl bikes with. SRAM red and only paid £1299, so it would be a stinker cycling on the same bike knowing that I had paid 200 more.

I have been drawn back to ribble and have been toying with either the sportive bianco or the stealth. I intend on doing triathlon further on down the line so I thought the stiffer stealth may suit Tri better.

Has anyone any good advice as I don't want to buy now in a rush and regret it further down the. Line
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Pigeons in Flight is giving you good advice. The geometry and purpose of Planet X sl and Ribble sportive is quite different. Planet X more race orientated , Ribble more relaxed distance orientated.

I ve got a Planet x sl and I love it. Use it mainly for Sprint Triathlons and Sunday morning quick rides. If its more than 3 hours or 60 miles then I tend to be on my Planet X Kaffenbach (Totally different beast much more like a tourer)

They are both great bikes but you need to work out what style or riding you will be predominantley doing. I would suggest at this stage the Ribble is the better all rounder.

Px are on the verge of launching a carbon (Fondo/Sportive) frame and the first batch are usually sold at an absolute bargain price (Know I m holding out for one) and I cant see them getting it wrong (Their Ti sportive is one on the best value bikes on the market)

PX have showrooms now in London Derby Rotherham/Sheffield and Geoffry Butler also hold full builds so you should be able to try one.

Ribble have an outlet in Preston and you can usually find someone local whos got one. You definitely need to try before you buy. Even though these are mail order bikes this is usually possible
  • adamwood92
    adamwood92 Posts: 32
    planet x sl pro. enough said.
    nay denner rickta