Custom Bike Insurance

sirichmond
sirichmond Posts: 250
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Morning all,

For the past year I have just had my bike on the house insurance added as a valuble. Anyway my question is my Lapierre is a long way from standard now with Shimano Saint Brakes, Stans Flow Rims, Hope Hubs, XT Gearing etc etc etc. So I paid originally in 2009 £1800 but I reckon its now worth to me nearer 3 grand. Is there anywhere that you can insure your bike including modifications much like Adrian Flux car insurance.

Cheers
Si

http://www.allthegearnoidea.net

Yorkshire & North East MTB

Comments

• *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Before you get too carried away over insuring your bike, have a look through the BR classifieds/Ebay etc too see how much used bikes fetch.

I appreciate you've thrown loads of cash at it, but 2 year old bikes (3 models old) are seldom worth more than you paid for them, in pristine condition you would be looking at half the total value if you're lucky.

Having said that, in the event of some scumbag stealing your pride and joy you obviously don't want it replaced with a bog standard Lapierre, just don't expect to re-coup all your investment.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Our M&S contents insurance covers any individual items up to a value of £4k - we have some nice kit, but no individual bike is worth more than this, so job done :D

By the way, I also have a custom built bike and just in case I have loads of photos of the bie and all components, along with a spreadsheet of everything on there, cost etc :oops:

Yes, I know i'm sad, but if anything DID happen at least I have the best possible chance of arguing my case with the insurers.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    just don't expect to re-coup all your investment

Why? Bar any excess payment, most policies are new for old. As long as you inform them of the upgrades and increased value,and you can prove you've spent the money with receipts and can prove the upgrades were on the bike..ie..recent photos etc then there should be no problem.

This is where some people come unstuck, they claim to have xyz kit on their bike but can't prove it....claim denied.