Gear changing - down fine, up fails.

pianoleo
pianoleo Posts: 135
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I'm sure this topic has come up oodles of times before, but the search facility will only go back as far as February when BR went down, and in the last few months I can't find the exact same problem.

I'm running Shimano Rapidfire shifters (possibly SLX M660, not sure) with stock Deore components. It's a newish bike, everything's stock, and I'm pretty sure the gears were indexed by my LBS as part of its service mere weeks ago.

On my homeward commute tonight, my rear upshift trigger stopped working. Apologies if my terminology is all wrong, but what I mean is that when I tried to move up a gear, the rear derailleur didn't make the shift. After repeatedly pulling the trigger, the chain finally moved into the next sprocket. This happened consistently over the full six miles, every time I tried to change up. Shifting down, however, caused no problems whatsoever.

Is this a bog standard indexing problem or is there something else I need to be worrying about?

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you are having issues with shifting in the direction of the spring pull it is normally dues to poor routeing or mucky cables.

it all depends what you mean by changing up. bigger cog or smaller cog.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pianoleo
    Thanks nicklouse.

To clarify, I mean changing to a smaller cog at the back. There's no problem at all changing to a larger cog. IIRC I was on the middle cog at the front, all the way home, so that's fairly irrelevant.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    remove the cable, clean it. spray your cable hoses through with wd40 or better a teflon bike spray, to clean the muck out and refit. If your cables are newish, then this should be the likely problem.
  • pianoleo
    Will do! Ta!