Rotor/fork lower clearance

seanoevil
seanoevil Posts: 142
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
All,

Presently running a 160mm Mope rotor up front, on a Mavic Crossmax ST on Fox F32 RLC forks.

I am looking to but on a 180/183mm floating rotor, but on looking at present setup I noticed there was only a little clearance at the top of the rotor and the fork? Hope you know what I mean there!

So, am I going to be able to run a bigger rotor?

Pics attached...advice appreciated!

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    running a bigger rotor will give you more clearance.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • i think what he's saying nick is that a bigger rotor will foul the fork leg?? there looks very little room there, more so the upper post mount,
    what ive done in the past is to fit a washer on the disc side of the hub so that it spaces it out just a little more as the disc bolts were catching on the fork leg,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • seanoevil
    Cheers fellas,

Yep, as allthegear says; it clearance between rotor and lower fork leg/mount.

Just didn't want to waste money ordering rotors/mounts etc and it not fit at all. So long as I don't have to do nothing that's gonna involve filing away at forks etc!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What is the maximum size disc rotor I can put on my fork?
    32 & 36mm forks are designed to use disc rotors with an outside diameter of 160-205mm.

Foxes webby gives all the info. just check for your fork year. the above is from 2010.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mattyboy199
    mattyboy199 Posts: 627
    i recently had to return floating rotors because my IS forks dont along enough clearence from the caliper mount the aluminium spider is 1-2mm thicker. Remember the 180mm rotor will only increase by 10mm so you might just make it although it does look tight.
    Show me your green bits i might buy them !
  • seanoevil
    Mattyboy; yep the clearance is tight, really don't think it will fit straight in.

Yea, may try the washer advice given by allthegear previously. I am assuming this issue is down to the Mavic hubs?