Up Yours Mourinho!!!!!!!!!!!

2»

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    15peter20 wrote:
    -spider- wrote:
    15peter20 wrote:

This Barca side is arguably the best side ever. The Prem wins on one front though - absence of play acting.

:roll:

I expect you're about to pitch in with a suggestion for a better side then spider?

I'm sure there are many others but how about the AC Milan dream team of the late 80s for a start, perhaps not as pretty to watch but far, far stronger with better players in just about every position.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Mourinho is brilliant though. This guy really understands how to wind people up.

The footage of the Spanish press conference after the game is a perfect example. He's there patronising Guardiola with false praise before adding that one day he hopes he (Guardiola) can experience a 'clean' Champions league win after what happened at Stamford Bridge and now here.

To be honest I can't work out if I like Jose or think he's an arrogant tw@t.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    15peter20 wrote:
    -spider- wrote:
    15peter20 wrote:

This Barca side is arguably the best side ever. The Prem wins on one front though - absence of play acting.

:roll:

I expect you're about to pitch in with a suggestion for a better side then spider?

It was more the absence of play acting in the prem that got me.

Never happens.

Never.

-Spider-
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    RichN95 wrote:
    Champions League is just a devalued European Cup

No, it isn't. It's a far stronger competition, with all of Europe's best teams and almost all of the world's best players. You used to get some fairly weak teams getting to the semi final stage back in the 70s and 80s (Malmo, Dundee United, Lodz, Gothenberg), now it's really tough just to get into the last 16.

Teams like Schalke you mean ?

I take the point about it having all the biggest teams now BUT for me there are so many games between the top teams in the Champions League that it dilutes the importance of each of them - if "big games" come around every few weeks then you wonder how "big" they really are. When you had to qualify by winning the league and it was straight knockout each game was far more important than the average champs league game.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153

Teams like Schalke you mean ?

I take the point about it having all the biggest teams now BUT for me there are so many games between the top teams in the Champions League that it dilutes the importance of each of them - if "big games" come around every few weeks then you wonder how "big" they really are. When you had to qualify by winning the league and it was straight knockout each game was far more important than the average champs league game.

Likewise, I can take your point about the constant jeopardy of the knockout. The groups stages of the CL I don't bother with*. But the the overall standard of teams is better. (A parallel in the opposite direction can be seen in the UCI's decision to only let one rider per country in the Olympic track cycling events).

Schalke are a good side. Not much in the way of stars, but they're well organised, very strong at home and they have a terrific keeper (who will be at Man U next season, probably).

*Mind you, I'm a West Ham fan, so I won't be bothering with the Premiership next season unless Cardiff go up.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    Soccerball is a sport. But art? Are you sure about that?

The people who made this (and plenty of critics) seem to think so. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478337/

(I've not seen it myself)
  • RichN95 wrote:

The people who made this (and plenty of critics) seem to think so. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478337/

Is that the game where he head butts another player in the chest?

:D

And surely is the film that's the art, not the football match.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    RichN95 wrote:

I have that DVD. It's brilliant.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I don't care what he does in his personal life to be honest. Most geniuses are flawed aren't they?

Paul Gascoigne
    George Best
    Diego Maradona

Such a shame.

Good at soccerball, yes. But geniuses? Are you sure about that?

"an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music, etc.: the genius of Mozart."

Football played properly (i.e. not just hitting the channels) is an art. And. AND. Zinedine Zidane was also known as "The Scientist". So maybe it's a science as well?

:)

So drunken wife-beating just gets a shrug of shoulders just because they could play football well?

One interesting point about the Messi, Maradona debate is that Messi is doing it in a era where every player he faces is fitter, stronger and faster than those in Maradona's time, makes it slightly more impressive imo.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited April 2011
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I don't care what he does in his personal life to be honest. Most geniuses are flawed aren't they?

Paul Gascoigne
    George Best
    Diego Maradona

Such a shame.

Good at soccerball, yes. But geniuses? Are you sure about that?

"an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music, etc.: the genius of Mozart."

Football played properly (i.e. not just hitting the channels) is an art. And. AND. Zinedine Zidane was also known as "The Scientist". So maybe it's a science as well?

:)

So drunken wife-beating just gets a shrug of shoulders just because they could play football well?

Yes. Of course it does.

Fuck me....
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Every player is fitter, stronger and faster ! There may have been some small advances in fitness - and rule changes which mean skillful players no longer have to fear opposing teams taking them out at the knee every match.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • RichN95.

Is that the game where he head butts another player in the chest?

And surely is the film that's the art, not the football match.

But then we come to the thorny question of 'what is art'. I'm confident that neither you nor I can provide the definite answer.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Are the team that Christiano Ronaldo plays for complaining about players diving?
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Double post.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    But then we come to the thorny question of 'what is art'. I'm confident that neither you nor I can provide the definite answer.

This is getting a bit deep now. I'm off for a bike ride...