Muc Off Disc Brake Cleaner

ljs1977
ljs1977 Posts: 247
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
School boy error.

Clean bike, degrease, etc etc. GT85 a bit, oops some on brakes - poo.

Thought it would wear off, bought some of the above.

Still seems "oily". All I did was spray it on and leave it.

1) Am I missing something?
2) Is it poo
3) Do I just have to bed my brakes back in
4) Will some of Sherwood pines best grit sort the brake out?

Cheers

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    i usually spray it on then dry it with some paper towel, i've never had GT-85 on the discs though, so this may not work
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    clean rotor and replace the pads.

re the Muck off read the instructions. I believe you should wash it off. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    nicklouse wrote:
    clean rotor and replace the pads.

re the Muck off read the instructions. I believe you should wash it off. :wink:

Yep read the instructions...that said, I've been using this product for the last year and just spray it on after cleaning the bike and leave it to dry naturally...

As above your pads will need replacing if they've been doused in GT85.
  • BikingBob
    BikingBob Posts: 77
    GT85/WD40 are both penetrating oils therefore quickly absorbed into pads, I would advise replacing them..... Unfortunatly

As for muc-off disc cleaner I use this after cleaning my brakes with Isopropyl Alcohol and a fine emery cloth just to finish it off.

Also spray some on caliper, I do it once a month (or when needed, ie brake bleeding etc)
    Scott Scale 50 (Custom Spec)
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    Went for a decent ride today and the brakes are back on form. Must have needed to get the top layer of Muc off - off