different sized wheels suitable for forks

wellie6
wellie6 Posts: 5
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey, I've just been a complete idiot and bought a new set of fox forks, which are designed for a 29inch wheel, but my bike has a 26inch wheel. Do i need to take them back or will they suit the wheel?? Thanks...

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Take them back. The geometry will be way out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    will raise the front,

research this more, you might have fun with a 29" or 650b.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    take them back.
  • BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    They will change the geometry completely and put more stress on the headtube, possibly leading to a nasty accident. Take them back and buy new forks that fit your bike and wheel size.

And dont feel bad, weave all been there. I recently spent ages deciding on components for a new bike and made a massive order on Chain Reacion and then ten minutes later I relised I had forgotten a brake disc adapter, cost of part $20, cost to ship $30.
  • wellie6
    wellie6 Posts: 5
    Thanks very much for the advice everyone. Will take them back as i don't wanna risk putting them on, then having to re-sell them as second hand!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Definitely send them back. But you got me wondering now. If the Axle-crown height is no more than 1.5" longer than a standard 26" wheeled fork, then the geometry shouldn't change.
  • Definitely send them back. But you got me wondering now. If the Axle-crown height is no more than 1.5" longer than a standard 26" wheeled fork, then the geometry shouldn't change.

Also, the 29" fork is designed to run with a 29 wheel in. Running a 26 in it would lower the ground to crown height by 1.5 inches less than the intended crown height for a 29.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ah yes, of course, excuse the brain fart.
  • You know what? Normally I would sit down and work out what geometry change running 29er forks on a 26 frame with a 26 wheel in would occur, but I've had a few beers and I can't be arsed. Surely someone else somewhere has done it?