How long should a set of alloy chainrings last.

ant.rocket
ant.rocket Posts: 25
edited April 2011 in Workshop
My mate seems to think his chainrings are worn because there is a bit of movement of the chain on the ring when pushing the crank down, visibly though the teeth look fine. I would have thought this was just because the chain had worn and stretched a bit? His bike is only 3 yrs old and he has not worn the original cassette out yet. Its a 10sp Campag Centaur set up. How long should chainrings last mileage wise?

Comments

• Had 2k miles out of Ultegra so far and I'm hoping to get at least 6-7k out of them. Chain rings aren't worn until they look like shark teeth. Personaly I won't replace mine until I'm getting chain slip or shifting problems.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    3 years is a REALLY long time for a cassette and chainrings to last - unless he doesn't ride very often.

Has the chain been changed in that time?

How many miles does he do a year?
  • I think he's only done 6-7000 dry miles and has put a few fresh chains on. I agree with the 1st poster, a worn chainring should be like sharks teeth before it needs replacing. I've done 5-6000 miles on a FSA gossamer crankset and it seems fine, no visible or noticable signs of wear.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The 34 inner ring on my winter bike has finally worn out after around 6000 mainly winter miles. I use the small ring nearly all the time so for dry use I would expect at least 10000 miles from a good quality one.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Pokerface wrote:
    3 years is a REALLY long time for a cassette and chainrings to last - unless he doesn't ride very often.

A long time for chain rings? I thought they lasted longer than 15,000 miles.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Pokerface wrote:
    May be less if used in winter but this is per ring. I have only worn out one road bike ring since I started again in 1997.
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    Pokerface wrote:

Mine have (2004 Xenon), easy 15-20k miles, summer/winter/turbo, everything, fairly well looked after, but a good few occasions where chain's had crud on it week after week. Policy has always been, if it aint slipping then it's fine!! :) still going strong now, though for first time ever this year I've got a summer bike, probably extending its life a good few year to come. My experience is they last really really well (only speaking for Campag. :wink: ).