new wheels any advice

tobermory
tobermory Posts: 138
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
I am looking for a new set of wheels to go on my trek 1-5 my requirements are for training not real speed i have about £450 to spend any help welcome plus tyres
Never trust anyone who says trust me

Comments

• peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    same boat here

any advice would be great
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    You should be able to get a very decent set of training wheels for a lot less than that. I would recommend Mavic Aksiums or a decent set of handbuilts eg ambrosio excellights on zenith or 105 hubs from a good wheelbuilder like Derek at www.wheelsmith.co.uk . If you get factory wheels like the aksiums merlin cycles online always seem to have good deals on.

Tyre wise I like continental grand prix 4 seasons or 4000s, you'll get a million different opinions on tyres though.
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    thanks for advice but my weight is 15 stone i am worried whether they will be ok but i do want lighter wheels
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    I have been hearing some good reccomendations about the new american classics either the Areo 420 or sprint 350's

I found a pair of the 420 in newcastle at the weekend for 430 quid if the wife and mother in law had not been with me I would have a set. :cry:
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    tobermory wrote:
    thanks for advice but my weight is 15 stone i am worried whether they will be ok but i do want lighter wheels

Either of the options mentioned will be at least as strong as the stock wheels that came on your bike, especially the handbuilts. Why dont you email derek at wheelsmiths and tell him what sort of thing you are looking for and your weight, see what he suggests. Hw was very helpful when I contacted him.
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    I got some Mavic Open Pro rims with Hope Pro 3 hubs recently, bombproof!! Freehub is quite loud but they are extremely durable and tough wheels. Still solid after 1k miles and plenty of commuting. You could get two sets for a £450 budget too..
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    Fulcrum Racing 5
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Have a poke around on the Road Buying Forum (the search feature works well). The usual options are RS80/Fulcrum 3/Mavic Krysium Equippe for factory builds or some nice handbuilts (for that money you have loads of options but something like Open Pro Rims with DuraAce hub, etc., springs to mind).

I have a variety of handbuilts and factory and both can be very good (if you buy wisely, or poor if you don't).

C+ did a good wheelset review recently too.