os maps on mobiles help please

jako999
jako999 Posts: 26
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Hi all I have an Orange San Fransisco (ZTE Blade) I want to load gps maps on it, it runs android so I cant see why not. Has anyone got one of these phones can it be done?
If so what to I need to get.
The phone is on pay as you go but as its gps it shouldn't mater.
Thanks in advance
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have ViewRanger on my Nokia, but they also do Android now

http://www.viewranger.com/product-overv ... or-android

I think its great and you can get it fairly cheap if you dont need the whole of the UK.
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    +1 for Viewranger, it's a stunning piece of software. I've used it on Symbian where it's great and on an iPhone where it's features are somewhat stripped-down, I believe the Android version is similar to the Symbian version.

If you're after pukka OS mapping, you can get 1:50k maps of half the country for around £40, the more detailed 1:25k is much more expensive though.

The software will also use Open-Map data, it's not as good as OS, and there are mistakes, but it's free :D
  • jamienorton
    jamienorton Posts: 182
    i use mmtracker uses memory map os maps, works well for me.
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    edited April 2011
    Any free OS Apps for iPhone?

*Edit: Forget that, this looks like a decent app... waypoint alarms :D, Records your route... excellent
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    + potato for viewranger
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Viewranger is okay, but 1:25k maps are stupidly expensive and for trails you really need that kind of detail. 1:50k is okay if you just want to look up places and roads, but I generally know what area I'm in and want detail.

Far cheaper to buy the paper maps in WHSmiths or likewise, especially when they do their 2 for 1, 3 for 2 offers. Scan the bit you want, print, stick in a plastic pocket or laminate and carry with you. Works even when your battery runs out ;)

Alternative is to get OpenStreetMap or OpenCycleMap stuff. It's not perfect mapping, but in some places there are trails and less official paths marked that you won't find on an OS map. They're also free. I think ViewRanger has support for these maps. Sports Tracker uses OSM also on the phone, and this is due to be launched on Android (it's currently a Nokia app).
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    mmtracker is the best.

As it is not tied in with licencing like the other options, you can use any maps.
    I used to use memory maps (this is a rip off of it), same software without the licence restrictions.

You can get the software for £5 and PB supplies the maps.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    deadkenny wrote:
    Viewranger is okay, but 1:25k maps are stupidly expensive

Far cheaper to buy the paper maps in WHSmiths or likewise, especially when they do their 2 for 1, 3 for 2 offers.

Just to add to this, a £15 download token for Viewranger gets you 630sqKM and one £6.99 os map gives you 800 sqKM (Both in 1:25000). So a VR sqKM is like 2.3p and one on paper is like 0.9p... If I haven't stuffed up my calcs. So more than twice as expensive for VR maps.

I use VR, love it. But going through this has made me realise how expensive it is - considering they don't have any printing costs it's a bit nuts.
  • clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    mountain rescue just announced that record numbers of people have been left stranded by phone map apps and gps... they don't work well at altitude, run the battery down if you do get in trouble and also means you can't be sure of where you are when you're calling for help.

i realise this is probably fair weather walkers that use em, but you can't go wrong with a map imho.
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    + 1 more for Viewranger. I use it on my HTC Desire (Android) and it is perfect. The os 1:25k tiles are NOT expensive in my opinion. I just selected a big block where I ride and download others when needed.
    Either this or bin my Garmin Edge 705 and get the new one - NO not more money....

Always carry the paper os map and compass.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I came from using papermaps and the convenience of having a small map in your pocket, not 2 meters square flapping in your face is a reall boon. And I accept the battery argument, but if you are using OS maps, either digital of paper you bloody should be able to read them without a dot of your position on! But it's not a skill all outdoor goers have.
  • TowerRider
    mountain rescue just announced that record numbers of people have been left stranded by phone map apps and gps... they don't work well at altitude, run the battery down if you do get in trouble and also means you can't be sure of where you are when you're calling for help.

i realise this is probably fair weather walkers that use em, but you can't go wrong with a map imho.

Ok so if that is true (probably is as more people feel they have access to places) then how would these same people be able to tell mountain rescue where they were. If they can't read the same map on a mobile (with compass and gps co ords) then how on earth would they read a paper version?
    They would easily go wrong with a paper map.
  • Anonymous
    One of the number of times I've been involved with an ambulance call out, I tried my GPS but due to the trees it had fallen back to nearest cell position and I read out the wrong location! Paper map is quicker I find as the phone resolution often requires scrolling around to work out where you are or are near, whereas it's a simple quick glance at an A4 or A5 size square of paper that covers everything in your vicinity.

I also have a compass that I've had for years tucked away in the bag. The phone has a compass too, but it takes time to get it working, and the phone needs to calibrate to do it. The physical compass is a couple of seconds.

Phone maps are nice, but I just find it quicker to use a paper map. I still use phone apps though for tracking. Sports Tracker especially. Then can upload onto their site and see the tracks against Google Maps or export to anything else. Also shows however how inaccurate the GPS actually is in places! Sometimes when standing still the GPS track is wandering all over the place and can be hundreds of meters out, sometimes more. Oh, and it doesn't work too well in an ambulance it seems :D
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    gvSIGmaps is worth a look too. I think it's based on OSM maps.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    OpenCycle maps are excellent and show lots of trails that you won't find on OS maps.

The DOP on my iPhone using Motion X and OpenCycle maps in Epping last weekend was less than 20ft.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • TowerRider
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    OpenCycle maps are excellent and show lots of trails that you won't find on OS maps.

The DOP on my iPhone using Motion X and OpenCycle maps in Epping last weekend was less than 20ft.

Just shows how people have such different opinions. I would say OpenCycle maps are terrible and certainly pointless for trails. I suppose it depends on the area but Darwen Moors/Turton/Belmont/Rivington is pointless on OSM.
  • Anonymous
    That's the thing with OSM. It very much depends on voluntary information. If you live in an area where no one is going to mark trails, then it's not very good.

Although I think it's loads better than Google Maps for off road information. Find a forest on Google and it's an empty space. OSM will usually at least have the official footpaths and bridleways or fireroads marked.

P.S. There's a little difference between Open Cycle Maps and Open Street Maps. Same mapping stuff, but the two display slightly different information. Different view of the maps basically.

Should be said that a vast amount (maybe the majority) of trails in the UK are unofficial and possibly contentious or illegal. There's much resistance to having trails marked on mapping services. If you're riding in that kind of area then you may not see any trails marked. Not for bikes at least.

Interestingly, around my way some of the Swinley trails are marked, and even named, even though Swinley routes are not supposed to be made public (according to some deal made with the Crown Estate).

Whatever the case though, OS maps have just about zero bike trails other than official cycle routes (generally flat wide bridleway kind of routes).
  • jako999
    jako999 Posts: 26
    Thanks for the advice View ranger just wont load but I got maverick and trek buddy all I need now is some maps the os ones are £50 for the Midlands does any one know of any free ones I can get to see if they work with my phone before I buy a set
    Thanks
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming:
    "WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Orux maps:

http://www.oruxmaps.com/index_en.html

Free and you can download and make your own maps free
  • I'm new to all this.. so what can I get for my new HTC Desire HD? And how much does it cost?