Saddle bags

ThatBikeGuy
ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
So it's come to my attention that a saddle bag could be quite useful, especially seems i hate carrying things in my jersey pockets. :evil:

Anyone got some good suggestions? Probably be carrying a multi-tool, inner tube, phone, keys, the usual stuff really something neat and snug fitting! 8)

Cheers.
Cannondale SS Evo Team
Kona Jake CX
Cervelo P5

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    i've got 2top peak bags and have the brackets on the 4 family bikes. the medium one is easily big enough for 2 tubes,a small multitool and tyre levers. i have to pad it out with disposable gloves to stop any rattling but despite that its far from chunky.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • my advice make sure you measure the gap between the rails on your seat i recently brought the topeak survival bag for my road bike and it did fit the quickfit bracket was to big, so had to get a refund
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • ThatBikeGuy
    Okie doke, http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/sidekick_stw Just been looking at this one, i could do with another multi-tool kit too and it seems spacious enough - now to measure the spacing on my saddle :?
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Rule 29
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Rule 29
    :roll:
    Though i haven't had a puncture in 123 miles so maybe it isn't necessary after all...*touches wood*
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    its the aero wedge i have btw. my dad has what i think is just a wedge and it's a bit bulky.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I've got a Scicon 230 (I think). Very small, tidy looking bag. It fits tire levers, multitool, inner tube, co2 canister and head all at a squeeze. Enough for most rides but on a long sportive I take an extra canister and inner tube in my jersey.
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Topeak aero wedge for me x2 (med (spare atm, was my winter bikes) and micro (best bike))

Do the job nicely, just clip around the saddle rails (easy to fit and remove)
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • stratcat
    stratcat Posts: 160
    If you keep a tube in your saddlebag, check it regularly or put it in something to stop it rubbing against the inside of the saddlebag and wearing a hole in the tube. You don't want to know how I know about that one!
    :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Mate, that sucks..........
    Try freezer (ziplock) bags, work a treat!!
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    has anyone bought one of the 'snack bags' - they fix behind your stem and sit on the top bar allowing easy access to energy beans or jelly babies etc. I've seen them on a few bikes but not in the shops - anyone able to recommend where to buy them? Seem like a great idea for a longish ride.

Peter
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I think the Topeak bags are OK but the zips kept going so I went for the Drybag instead on my commuter; buckles instead of zips. It's ugly as hell though.

I've just picked up one of the Planet X saddlebags; sadly no strap for light fitting but otherwise seems OK. I can get 2 tubes, multitool, 2x quick links and a puncture repair kit into it
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}